• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stop light switch (brake pedal)

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
My pedal has to return too far to contact the switch, to the point of an uncomfortable height. I actually installed a return spring :hack: on the pedal so it engages. I was going to fab a bracket so it works the way I want it to, but if I can buy something turn key for a reasonable coin, I'd rather do that. Does anyone have a pic of the switch installed so I can compare it to my own?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't remember how your car is equipped but here is a 4 spd manual brake. I don't know if they are any different :huh:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Mine is a four spd. with manual brakes. It looks like that bracket has some adjustment in it. I didn't notice that last I looked, although I've never looked from the passenger side. Let me run out to the garage and check.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
The bracket is already adusted to the furthest forward position. I'm not sure how much I'll gain dropping it down to the lower hole pattern. Any thoughts? That bolts a pita with the column there. I'm not sure why I have this issue, maybe something is missing off of the plunger on the switch?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
The bracket is already adusted to the furthest forward position. I'm not sure how much I'll gain dropping it down to the lower hole pattern. Any thoughts? That bolts a pita with the column there. I'm not sure why I have this issue, maybe something is missing off of the plunger on the switch?
Might be the switch is bad :popcorn:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
The switch functions electrically, but maybe missing something between the plunger and push rod to take up the gap? Do you have a shot from the other side where the switch makes contact with the pedal?
I know, now I'm being a pita.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
The switch functions electrically, but maybe missing something between the plunger and push rod to take up the gap? Do you have a shot from the other side where the switch makes contact with the pedal?
I know, now I'm being a pita.
This is the best I have on file

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think when I get ready to rip Bambilicious apart I'm flying Bob out here for a few days...he takes excellent "where it goes", "how it comes apart", and "how it goes back together" photos... Nice job, Mr. HemiBeep. :thumbsup:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I think when I get ready to rip Bambilicious apart I'm flying Bob out here for a few days...he takes excellent "where it goes", "how it comes apart", and "how it goes back together" photos... Nice job, Mr. HemiBeep. :thumbsup:

I needed them more than once :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

okay wait a minute.....is this a repeat picture......how many times are you going to show the same pictures.....okay i get it now :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

okay wait a minute.....is this a repeat picture......how many times are you going to show the same pictures.....okay i get it now :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:
Is "Mr. Repeat" bitter :lol:

72duster

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my duster when i change from drums to disc i just split a 3/8 in fuel line rubber about 2in fit it over pedal in took up the gap.

moparchris

Reaction score
I hate to jump in late with a weird suggestion, but what about the master cylinder pushrod? Could it have been changed over the years with an incorrect length?

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I hate to jump in late with a weird suggestion, but what about the master cylinder pushrod? Could it have been changed over the years with an incorrect length?

I don't think so, only because the brake and clutch pedals are at the same height without the spring I installed to contact the switch. In ordere to depress the plunger on the switch the brake pedal actually end up well above the "normal" height. You can see it in this pic.

Back