• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STUPID convertible trim!

earlyrides

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong?

Is there some sort of magic required to install this trim around the back of this car?

It seems like it all needs to be together before you start putting the hardware in.

This is driving me crazy! :crazy:

I can install each piece by itself but they don't want to go on when it's all together!

uuuggghhh!!!!

droptop

Reaction score
Are you using original corner pieces and side connectors or reproduction? I have heard that the repo components don't fit very good.

Upper belt mouldings convt. PG Classic.JPG

69B5

Reaction score
I was lucky with my convertible, I had all the original trim
I agree with Harold, that some time these repop's don't fit exactly
Be patient and carefully check the fit.
I've been told that sometimes the fastening holes need to be elongated.
If you do this, don't forget to dab some paint on the raw metal to prevent rust
Good luck

earlyrides

Reaction score
Thanks guys
they are the originals.
is there some sort of order?
assemble first? then do corners? then quarter window strips?
speaking about the quarter window strips; the holes in the chrome are small like for a sheet metal screw but the body has dime sized holes. what the?

chapdog105

Reaction score
Dime sized holes? Along the deck filler panel where the stainless trim goes? That shouldn't be if it is...
Got any pictures of that??

Did you get the clips for the stainless trim pieces from R/T Specialties that Harold (Ragtop) recommended?
I know it's expensive to get them all, but they are necessary if you don't have the originals.
The clips slide into the inside of the stainless trim and then screw in through the holes in your deck filler panel and along the rear sides. I've only taken mine apart, and my car isn't back home so I'm no expert on re-assembly yet.
I will message Dr. Mopar on Facebook to get him over here to help you out, he's the convertible expert.

Alex

drmopar

Reaction score
Show us what you are having issues with, I have worked on plenty of 68-70 B body ragtops and have not had any problems. Put all 9 parts together and lay them in the channel. Get the screws in the stainless parts only. The potmetal is hit or miss. 15 screws or so and you should be home free.

droptop

Reaction score
Ragtop...... :toetap: :lmao:

Put all the trim together and lay it in place. Then start in the middle back and start the screws into the clips. Don't tighten any thing down until all screws are started. Make sure you tape up any and all painted areas real good because the trim will move around as it is being attached. It really makes a bad day when you have to take it back apart to fix a scratch in your freshly painted "Droptop".

earlyrides

Reaction score
The big problem is the screws for the clips from R/T.
I dont know exactly what type to use.
I got some # 10 sheet metal screws but they dont tighten down without slipping.
Can anyone tell me the exact screw type that threads into the clips?
And better yet where to get them?

droptop

Reaction score
Our Lowe's has a huge selection of screws and fasteners. Take the clips with you and make sure they tighten down and they aren't to long.

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
The big problem is the screws for the clips from R/T.
I dont know exactly what type to use.
I got some # 10 sheet metal screws but they dont tighten down without slipping.
Can anyone tell me the exact screw type that threads into the clips?
And better yet where to get them?

I am having the same problem with the screws being too short that came with the clips from R/T. What size screw did you end up using? It appears that the length of screw needs to be just right to prevent screw tip from damaging trim piece.

Back