• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping out steering wheels...

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I have a '71 Roadrunner. I recently got a plain "Plymouth" steering wheel (photo below) that has a way nicer grip than my current steering wheel which has grip tape around it. I would like to swap out the wheels so I don't have to use the grip tape anymore.

However, my current wheel has the center Roadrunner emblem, which I would like to keep (photo below). My question is, will I be able to swap out the center portions of the wheels?

I know the center emblems come off with a pry-tool, but what about the center plastic that goes around and on top of the wheel and horn buttons? Last questions is, does anyone know if the plain "Plymouth" wheel has the same wiring to make sure I can still use my Roadrunner beep-beep horn?

I tell ya guys, I sure am glad to have your help. Would be nice if there was a Youtube channel or some type of manuals for small simple jobs like this. Most YouTube vids and manuals are for major jobs. I do have a mechanic who works exclusively on classics, but I sure would like to do these "small" jobs myself. Oh well, just
venting haha! Thanks everyone!!

~Ritchie

Unknown-7.jpegUnknown-8.jpeg

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
i think you need to down load the factory service manual.

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
i think you need to down load the factory service manual.
Hey V.R.D., yeah I had someone point me in the right direction with the 1971 service manuals volume 1 and volume 2. I found them on Amazon. Thanks brother!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The new one you got looks similar to what you have. Don't know if the runner portion will swap out for you. But dose look same for same. We all try to tackle projects like this ourselves to save money. We get to know the car better by doing this. On my 69 changed to the trident pad with half horn ring from the center horn pad steering wheel. My old one that came in the car was cracked up and showing metal in places. It did not look good!!!!! EverythingIMG_0108 (5).JPG went well in the change out process.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I have a '71 Roadrunner. I recently got a plain "Plymouth" steering wheel (photo below) that has a way nicer grip than my current steering wheel which has grip tape around it. I would like to swap out the wheels so I don't have to use the grip tape anymore.

However, my current wheel has the center Roadrunner emblem, which I would like to keep (photo below). My question is, will I be able to swap out the center portions of the wheels?

I know the center emblems come off with a pry-tool, but what about the center plastic that goes around and on top of the wheel and horn buttons? Last questions is, does anyone know if the plain "Plymouth" wheel has the same wiring to make sure I can still use my Roadrunner beep-beep horn?

I tell ya guys, I sure am glad to have your help. Would be nice if there was a Youtube channel or some type of manuals for small simple jobs like this. Most YouTube vids and manuals are for major jobs. I do have a mechanic who works exclusively on classics, but I sure would like to do these "small" jobs myself. Oh well, just
venting haha! Thanks everyone!!

~Ritchie

View attachment 36392View attachment 36393
Ya that should not be an issue. They are the same wheel, your new one looks like it was from a Satellite.

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
The new one you got looks similar to what you have. Don't know if the runner portion will swap out for you. But dose look same for same. We all try to tackle projects like this ourselves to save money. We get to know the car better by doing this. On my 69 changed to the trident pad with half horn ring from the center horn pad steering wheel. My old one that came in the car was cracked up and showing metal in places. It did not look good!!!!! EverythingView attachment 36400 went well in the change out process.
That new wheel looks bitchin!

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
Hey Ritchie,

Is the new one you got noticeably thicker? That's the gripe I have with my stock RR wheel is that it's too darn skinny to hold on to.

Back