• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Light

zupanj

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have decided to hook up a tach I have had for a while since I have the dash half apart anyway. Looking at the wiring diagrams I am not sure where to splice the tach light wire. I think I could either splice at the light switch or the rheostat. If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly it looks like I could splice into the wire labeled L7A-18 (black). This looks like it is the feed to the rheostat and if I splice there the tach light will be on full intensity. From the rheostat it looks like the wire labeled E1-18 (tan) feeds from the rheostat to the instrument panel lights. If I splice there I should be able to control the light intensity of the tach along with the rest of the panel lights. The only comment is the rheostat works poorly and is more or less on-off.

Can you tell me if this is correct?

Thanks,

Jack

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i would look for an orange wire that goes to lights like the light for the heater controls, the light for the clock, and the light in the radio.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I just ran mine to a power lead in the fuse box.
For the rheostat, I'd go get some Evaporust from Autozone and soak the rheostat for about 6 hours, rinse with water, dry and spray with some WD-40 or something like that. The Evaporust will eliminate any rust in the switch without harming the chrome finish and might just fix the problem.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mac said:
i would look for an orange wire that goes to lights like the light for the heater controls, the light for the clock, and the light in the radio.

Yep, in fact if you look around, you'll find an orange plug that you can tap into without splicing the wires.

Back