• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk me out of selling

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I have had my car for 7 years now. I think I have done about all I am going to get around to on it. It is a great car. Optioned the way i want it. I have just started to think that maybe I should get a new project. Maybe a 70 Charger. Maybe another 71 Cuda. A 68 Charger is for slae that I think is a good deal also, I loved the one I had. Maybe a 70's truck like I have been wanting for years (had a 77 in high school). One of those popped up local this week, seems to be an OK deal.

I have had a 69 RR of some sort everyday since I was 14, with the exception of about two months after I sold the droptop and then got the current ride. It would be wierd to not own one. But yet I still want other cars... :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I have had my car for 7 years now. I think I have done about all I am going to get around to on it. It is a great car. Optioned the way i want it. I have just started to think that maybe I should get a new project. Maybe a 70 Charger. Maybe another 71 Cuda. A 68 Charger is for slae that I think is a good deal also, I loved the one I had. Maybe a 70's truck like I have been wanting for years (had a 77 in high school). One of those popped up local this week, seems to be an OK deal.

I have had a 69 RR of some sort everyday since I was 14, with the exception of about two months after I sold the droptop and then got the current ride. It would be wierd to not own one. But yet I still want other cars... :brickwall:
Its a disease, you will have another so why sell :beep:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I'm back in school, my wife is still in MD school. So no income to play with. I can sell and get another with the freed up cash. Can't add another though :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
As I recall you've done a lot of work on this car, and it's running well now? If that's the case and if money is short, but not so much that you can't keep it on the road, why not keep it. You know what you have now, and it's the way you want it, and you know what's gone into it, and you've said it's a great car. If you bought something else now it will be an unknown and be maybe a problem. So I say keep it and have fun with it. When the day comes that more money is available then you can go after that next project.

mannye

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that the last time I sold my Roadrunner, I spent 5 years looking for another one just like it. n And to this day I keep kicking myself for letting it go. Thanks to wanting other projects, I lost a mint 69 RR convertible with factory A/C to some guy on the west coast.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
As I recall you've done a lot of work on this car, and it's running well now? If that's the case and if money is short, but not so much that you can't keep it on the road, why not keep it. You know what you have now, and it's the way you want it, and you know what's gone into it, and you've said it's a great car. If you bought something else now it will be an unknown and be maybe a problem. So I say keep it and have fun with it. When the day comes that more money is available then you can go after that next project.

True, it is well sorted out. Something new might not be.

I sure don't want a 5 year search. :beep:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Well... There are pros and cons to selling.

I've regreted selling a few cars, but I realized you just can't keep everything a long time ago. As I see it the car is done, paid for and you know what you have. Prices are down, but I can't see them going any lower. If you sell now, it wil most likely be more expensive to find another later on.

On the flip side, you want something else, something different. As I said, you can't keep everything. As long as you are upgrading, go for it... If its not as nice, you'll regret it everytime you sit behind the wheel.

Myself... I just kinda went through the same decision.. I've decided to sell my Corvette... That car was something I wanted for a long time and finally got it 9 years ago... I've lost interest in it though.. Can't say why, but I don't enjoy it like I once did and its just been sitting there. I tossed my hat over the fence tonight and bought something I wanted since I was a kid. Now I need the room so the Vette has to go.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
as car guys, I think there will always be other cars we will want, no matter what we already have. A few years back I sold my '68 Charger R/T that I had for 18 years. I wanted to get going on Freebird, and didn't have the play $$ for two cars. I still miss the Charger. Like as already be said, you know what you have with your runner. a new car will more than likely bring other problems, maybe not. the runner is paid for, doesn't cost a dime to sit in the garage. But...if you've just plain lost interest in it....maybe park it for a while and see if you feel differently .

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I won't be driving it much this summer, I have to learn Spanish. So that covers letting it sit.

I LOVE driving it, but I look at the things it needs, like a paint job, and know that it won't get done. So in my mind, the car is finished.

That is where the problem is. I like getting stuff sorted out, then getting something I have't had before. About the only thing left to refine on this one is the heater controls.

Last time I worked on it, I put a new bulb in the trunk light. Sort of like putting a cherry on top.

There are a few other little things I could smooth out, but not a whole lot.

I could put my spare 440 in it during the 3 weeks I have in August...

but that would kill the MPG that I love.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
Well... There are pros and cons to selling.

I've regreted selling a few cars, but I realized you just can't keep everything a long time ago. As I see it the car is done, paid for and you know what you have. Prices are down, but I can't see them going any lower. If you sell now, it wil most likely be more expensive to find another later on.

On the flip side, you want something else, something different. As I said, you can't keep everything. As long as you are upgrading, go for it... If its not as nice, you'll regret it everytime you sit behind the wheel.

Myself... I just kinda went through the same decision.. I've decided to sell my Corvette... That car was something I wanted for a long time and finally got it 9 years ago... I've lost interest in it though.. Can't say why, but I don't enjoy it like I once did and its just been sitting there. I tossed my hat over the fence tonight and bought something I wanted since I was a kid. Now I need the room so the Vette has to go.
You can't just leave us hanging like this John, what did you get :popcorn:

moparchris

Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that. But back to our program, I say keep it. The best way to save money is to let it sit and drive it once in a while. I wish I had more foresight when selling other cars to get others. I have decided, at this point in my life that I am only going to buy cars that I want to keep and keep the ones that I have. Life changes and who knows you may be in a different spot in a few years and you will get the chance to finish it as if it were a dream. Either way we wont be mad at you. :grouphug:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that. But back to our program, I say keep it. The best way to save money is to let it sit and drive it once in a while. I wish I had more foresight when selling other cars to get others. I have decided, at this point in my life that I am only going to buy cars that I want to keep and keep the ones that I have. Life changes and who knows you may be in a different spot in a few years and you will get the chance to finish it as if it were a dream. Either way we wont be mad at you. :grouphug:
Maybe when we get to Cali we can relieve you of one of your over stock problems, seems the A12 has caused allot of turmoil :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Yes I can... :devil:

Its gonna be a mystery car. I'll say it is a Mopar though.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the paint. I look t my crappy paint, the mud in the 1/4s is cracking, then I look at the new skins that have been hanging in the garage since I got the car. But then I take it for a drive. might just be to work. Puts a smile on my face everytime. I think it all started with Freebird. I'd go to the Nats, see all the purtty cars, then gout out in the cornfield where I parked, looked at the primer, almost no interior, and get down in the dumps. Then on the drive home it would go away. And I had more fun with that primered upcar than I had in a long time. And loosing it took alot of that outta me. Now I have the yellow car. And being the bread winner, with all the life beating down crapthat comes with that, and at times I feel like i'll never get mine done. Then I think about all the cherry cars, just the ones I know about near me that haven't even been out of the garage in this century, and I feel pretty lucky.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

Yes I can... :devil:

Its gonna be a mystery car. I'll say it is a Mopar though.

GLH Charger(Omni)

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I remember the days of my 70 Challenger or 69 Bee with the ragged interior and faded paint, in the Bees case it was ORIGINAL. The Challenger had worn out 1980 paint on it when I got it in 99.

Those cars were great fun, only I got hassled by EVERY SOB in the state( and other states like OH when I went to the Nats) with 500 bucks and a dream. I was offered 1200 for the Challenger, a car that I sold for 15 grand in the same condition. I had a 71 Barracuda that sold for around 18 grand and I can't type the stores about that one without getting boiling mad all over again. :soap: One time, a guy literally got red faced mad at me because I wouldn't "price" it for him. That car had about 10 year old paint on it that looked like it was a first timer job.

I literally would come home irate that somebody nearly put me in the ditch to cut me off and try and get me to stop. I got bothered at the pumps. One guy almost got himself killed by running in front of my truck and trailer with the Cuda on the back leaving a gas station.

Park it in front of the house? Get a MFer knocking on the door at a improper hour.

I don't miss that aspect one bit. This car has NEVER gotten somebody to get up the balls to ask about buying it when I have been out. I find it much less stressful.

Maybe this car is the best one to keep. I really do want a 70 Charger though...

mannye

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I remember the days of my 70 Challenger or 69 Bee with the ragged interior and faded paint, in the Bees case it was ORIGINAL. The Challenger had worn out 1980 paint on it when I got it in 99.

Those cars were great fun, only I got hassled by EVERY SOB in the state( and other states like OH when I went to the Nats) with 500 bucks and a dream. I was offered 1200 for the Challenger, a car that I sold for 15 grand in the same condition. I had a 71 Barracuda that sold for around 18 grand and I can't type the stores about that one without getting boiling mad all over again. :soap: One time, a guy literally got red faced mad at me because I wouldn't "price" it for him. That car had about 10 year old paint on it that looked like it was a first timer job.

I literally would come home irate that somebody nearly put me in the ditch to cut me off and try and get me to stop. I got bothered at the pumps. One guy almost got himself killed by running in front of my truck and trailer with the Cuda on the back leaving a gas station.

Park it in front of the house? Get a MFer knocking on the door at a improper hour.

I don't miss that aspect one bit. This car has NEVER gotten somebody to get up the balls to ask about buying it when I have been out. I find it much less stressful.

Maybe this car is the best one to keep. I really do want a 70 Charger though...

That's the beauty of a finished car. Regardless of what it is, when it's looking like a show winner, you don't get too many yahoos thinking they can augment the ol' 401K because you might not know what ya got. Notice I said not too many... amazing how many times I still get asked by some idiot if they could get 10K right now..... (My response these days is "That's how much the steering wheel costs")

Back