• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire and wheel drama: Final chapter

sam z

Reaction score
Ok, first check out this link:
http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badl ... guide.html

This is what I've got and what I wanna do:

Fronts: 15 x 7.5, 4 inch backspace, would like to run
245/60/15.

Rear: 15 x 8.5, 3.5 inch backspace, would like to run
275/60/15.

I own the wheels, and unless there is some serious bs with
the sizes I rattled off, they are going on the car.

Offer opinions and clarification. I appreciate all of it believe me.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chargers, like Super Bees have a larger rear wheel opening than a RR. Your chart, no matter how spiffy, may therefore not be relevant, Sam.

I'd prefer to see another inch of backspacing on the rear and then I'd know that you would have no issues. But the point is moot since as you pointed out you already own the wheels and 3.5" is what you have. Mount the tires, bolt em on, and it will be what it will be. Maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe not. My buddy has a similar set-up with Americans (3.5" backspacing) on his '68 GTX. With four 200+ lb. men in the car they rub like hell when you hit a bump. Good luck.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Chargers, like Super Bees have a larger rear wheel opening than a RR. Your chart, no matter how spiffy, may therefore not be relevant, Sam.

I'd prefer to see another inch of backspacing on the rear and then I'd know that you would have no issues. But the point is moot since as you pointed out you already own the wheels and 3.5" is what you have. Mount the tires, bolt em on, and it will be what it will be. Maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe not. My buddy has a similar set-up with Americans (3.5" backspacing) on his '68 GTX. With four 200+ lb. men in the car they rub like hell when you hit a bump. Good luck.
rays got some good advice for ya Sam.....rubbing really sucks :D

sam z

Reaction score
Yes...
Thanks Ray, I gathered that on the chart. A guy from Mopar Performance is the one that emailed it to me. It was a little surprising that he said it was suitable for all B-bodies. I knew that couldn't be the case.

Anyway, thanks. Would kind of suck to have to downgrade to a 255/60/15 in back and consequently cut down the size in the front a little too.

If anybody else has a say go for it.

-Sam

moparchris

Reaction score
There have been many discussions here lately about wheels. I think I have said it somewhere before that a 15x10 with 5.5 backspace with a 295/60r15 will barely fit with rolled wheel lips and will rub but very little. If you take 2.5 inches from that wheel on the inside would make it a 3 inch backspace. Since you have a 3.5 backspace that would get you a half inch more at the outer lip. One thing is that a 275/60 has more sidewall and will be more prone to rub even though its 3/4 inch narrower at the tread but is probably th same width as the 295 at the sidewall. I think it will fit but like Ray said it will probably rub. I think if you have exactly the right wheel but the backspace is not what you want then have the rear narrowed. Most shops charge $200 to cut the housing and move the perches, but then you will have to have the axles resplined or replaced which will drive up the cost.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Sam,
I hate to say it, but....The rear I'm not so sure. I'm running 15x8.5" rims in the back with a 3.75 backspace and clearance is minimal with 275/60R15s. It's not in my comfort zone anyway. Honestly, I really want to add another .750" of backspace when funds allow. Forget about a backseat passenger the way it is now. Maybe you'll get lucky like Ray said, but I would mount the rim and run a straight edge across it and see what you have then subtract about .750" for tire bulge. Good luck man!

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
mcmopar, you run 235/70R15 on 15x7's up front, correct?
Same height as rear - 28". No problems ever?
I am thinking about this same combo after you mentioned this in another post.
I like the idea of same diameter front and back - 28".
Do you have any more pics of front tire in fender?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harry, I run the exact same tire/wheel size combo on Bambilicious. Here are a couple pics. The one taken in the garage is a crappy, poor-quality cell phone pic. Sorry.

mcmopar

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
mcmopar, you run 235/70R15 on 15x7's up front, correct?
Same height as rear - 28". No problems ever?
I am thinking about this same combo after you mentioned this in another post.
I like the idea of same diameter front and back - 28".
Do you have any more pics of front tire in fender?
The only problem I've had is when I turn the fronts all the way to the left the tire hits the fiber dust cover that goes over the opening for the upper control arm nuts and z-bar hold down nut. Other than that it's all good.

Back