• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Six Pack or not to Six Pack, that is the question. . .

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm replacing my built up 383 and 23 spline 4 speed with a 440 with 505 stroker and one of Passon Performance's Hemi Overdrive 4 speeds. My new engine builder and I have been discussing the potential of going with a Six Barrel set up rather than a single 4 barrel. I've read good and bad on this. Yes, the 6 is expensive, but REALLY high on the cool factor.

I'm also assuming that the 4 will deliver equal power than the 6, but not too sure.

Can any of you comment on the pro and con of this idea? I've heard the 6 was a pain in the ass to keep tuned and heard other say once it's dialed in, it's no trouble.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

John

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I ran a 6 barrel setup (the six pack is the Dodge version) for many years with no real issues.

First, dialing them in means getting them setup like the factory did. A little richer jetting and maybe fool with the diaphragm springs and that's it.

The only problem I ever had is the same one that Holley carb'd cars always have... If the engine burps back through the carbs, the power valve will leak and you will need to replace it. Accept that and you will have no issues.

A good ignition is a must.. I liked the MSD... and I would really consider an electric fuel pump to make starting after a few days easier.

Oh.. one more thing... buy new carbs. By the time everyone has had their fingers in a used carb, you'll pull your hair out with screwy "mods" from the 70's like blocked kill bleeds for the diaphragms.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
can be a headache if you let it get away from you by trying to adjust more than one thing at a time before road testing. also agree with Big, buy new carbs. I had a very smart person with six barrel setups recommend going with the 1971 versions if not worrying about having original carbs. I chased gremlins for awhile until I finally broke down and bought new center carb and new base plates for the outboards.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You can prevent the power valves from blowing with a simple kit from Holley. I did it with my 750. No problems.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can prevent the power valves from blowing with a simple kit from Holley. I did it with my 750. No problems.

The new carbs are designed not to blow like the old ones, Ive done the kit also

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am going to go with the 6 Barrel. Looks like piecing it together from Jeg's is cheapest. Herb's has a "kit" for about $2,900; but I think I can get from Jeg's or Summit a bit cheaper. Thanks again.

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am going to go with the 6 Barrel. Looks like piecing it together from Jeg's is cheapest. Herb's has a "kit" for about $2,900; but I think I can get from Jeg's or Summit a bit cheaper. Thanks again.

The 6 pack will limit the power potential of your 505 with its small plenum dual plane design. A big 4 barrel and single plane intake will make a ton more power especially over 5k rpm. I agree that the 6 pack is a killer set up, but when you start building a big motor it has its limits.

Back