• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bar Failure

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I haven't been on in a while, hope all you guys are doing well. Started having an odd issue with my 69 last month. When turning wheels left or right, I'd hear a grinding sound. Thinking it was something in the front end or the steering box, I put her in the garage until I had time to look. A buddy and I went on Saturday and she fired right up after nearly 2 months. That's the good news.

Bad news is that the sound I was hearing is the front tires rubbing up against the very bottom of the front fenders. Long story short, a mechanic friend of mine said that he heard some of the torsion bars out there are sagging after a very short period of time. We tightened up on the torsion bars a bit and were able to drive to my house about 6 miles away, but the tires are still WAY too close for comfort.

Have you guys heard anything about this? Is there anything else that could be causing the tires from getting to close, they were never like this before.

Assuming I got a bad pair of bars, what are the best ones out there that I should try? I want something thicker that stock of course.

Thanks guys,

Best,

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you tightened the lower control arm nuts in the K-frame while in the air its just your bushings tearing. Replace the bushings which is a pain set the car on the ground set the ride height then tighten the LCA nuts. This happens allot, the bushings are trying to carry the weight not the torsion bars.

Back