• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bar Removal

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
About 20 or so years ago, I replaced all the wear parts in the front end. I usually grease everything up when I put it back together. Of course, I greased up the torsion bars where they go into the frame and the lower control arm.

Today... 20 some years later... that grease bit me in the butt. :brickwall:

I've removed a bunch of torsion bars from Mopars over the years and this was no doubt the hardest. I finally had to loosen the lower control arm and bang on that with a hammer. That got it loose from the rear, where it wasn't stuck. The front was another story. The grease that I smeared in there so long ago formed a vacuum that kept the bars in place. Once they moved and the suction broke, they just about flew out.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I was just cleaning mine up yesterday thinking about how much grease to use. I guess not much. :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I like the ones that you KNOW are gonna fight you, then they just about fall apart.

Back