• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar setup

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I rebuilt all front end components including the steering box which required removing the torsion bar, drivers side. When I re-set up the the Torsion bar I clocked it to its lowest point and installed the bar and bolt.
Of course now it does not match the other side, now there's nothing to measure against to initially set up both side the same.
Question is when setting up the torsion bars should you set both up the same in their farthest down position or wait and adjust ride height when I put all the sheet metal back on?
thanks Larry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Service manual gives you the specs and where the measure but like said above wait until all the weight is back on

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I've given some though to leaving one not adjusted and I don't think its the right thing to do. The possibility exists when I puts weight back on the torsion bars and attempt to level the car, I could run out of adjustment becasue one is set @ the bottom and one left as is 1/2 way up. If I set them as an equal pair the adjustment should be around the same number of turns each side or somewhen near the same. Thoughts?

quikbird

Reaction score
Cannot install it loaded. you can’t put enough twist into that torsion bar to install it any way but unloaded. If one side is still loaded just undo the adjustment nut and then put the new one in. They will even out as get weight back on and bring height back up.

Back