• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bars

V269

Reaction score
Thinking of switching out the original torsion bars on my car. I have the RT/HEMI suspension in the rear so which size bars would you put up front ? I'm thinking .096" bars since my original ones are .090".

Ken.

DonCarter66

Reaction score
Hey Ken,

I just dropped in the .096 bars on my 440 car. Best thing in the world, my only issue is a little contact with the headers at slow turns and idle. I need to work up some custom headers anyway which will leave me with no issues.

My experience, YMMV.
Don

zupanj

Reaction score
I am just getting ready to put 1.06" bars in my Roadrunner. I will be replacing the 0.88" t-bars which are too light. In fact I was going to call FirmFeel after I checked the site for the day. One thing I found was that it looks like the C-clips are not installed on the crossmember. Has anyone seen this before? I don't think the bars could slip out because they are under a lot of tension but I do find it strange. Also I don't want to be beating them out if the clips are in but hard to see. I am sure some of you guys have done this so is that possible?

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
had to beat mine out and I got my new clips from the local dealer under 10 bucks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
One thing I found was that it looks like the C-clips are not installed on the crossmember. Has anyone seen this before? I don't think the bars could slip out because they are under a lot of tension but I do find it strange. Also I don't want to be beating them out if the clips are in but hard to see. I am sure some of you guys have done this so is that possible?

I have definitely seen them left out before, but usually they are there and just buried under a ton of road grime. Wipe/scrape the grease and grime away - maybe even spray some brake cleaner in there - and make absolutely sure the clips aren't in there before you start beating on the bars.

BTW - I use the American Muscle torsion bar removal & installation tool - makes this job EASY. Bolts on, clamping the bar and providing a surface to strike so you don't have to actually beat on the bars themselves. Nice tool.

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
zupanj said:
One thing I found was that it looks like the C-clips are not installed on the crossmember. Has anyone seen this before? I don't think the bars could slip out because they are under a lot of tension but I do find it strange. Also I don't want to be beating them out if the clips are in but hard to see. I am sure some of you guys have done this so is that possible?

I have definitely seen them left out before, but usually they are there and just buried under a ton of road grime. Wipe/scrape the grease and grime away - maybe even spray some brake cleaner in there - and make absolutely sure the clips aren't in there before you start beating on the bars.

BTW - I use the American Muscle torsion bar removal & installation tool - makes this job EASY. Bolts on, clamping the bar and providing a surface to strike so you don't have to actually beat on the bars themselves. Nice tool.
Ditto here. I have the same tool, I used to remove the fasteners to the lower control arm and tap on a 2x4 placed on the lower control arm. That worked great just a little more work to undo the lower arm.

Back