• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Leak

Ranger

Reaction score
Big puddle under it. Got to check it out today and found (to my delight) the trans seals are all good. The leak appears to be from the back up light switch. Easy fix if necessary. I tightened it a bit, but not sure if that is going to help. I suspect it is leaking internally and will need replacement. Time will tell.

A12

Reaction score
Ranger if that doesn't fix it and I'm assuming this is a 727 then before you do anything else check the O-ring at the base of the dipstick tube. I chased a leak on my '68 road runner for weeks and every time I thought I had it fixed I'd let it sit for a few hours or a day and there was the puddle again. It would only leak after sitting and not when it was running. I tried three different pans and pan gaskets, the reverse light seal and even changed the seal on the shift linkage shaft from inside of the trans and no luck. Then I finally figured out why it leaked after it sat for a while........the torque converter would empty back into the pan and raise the fluid level and it would leak at the base of the dipstick tube, migrate around the front of the pan seal to the left side and make it appear that the gasket and other areas were leaking. Just thought I'd throw that out there if you haven't checked that area and of course if it's a 727.

Ranger

Reaction score
Oops, sorry A12, I guess I dropped the ball by not identifying it. It's an A-833 (4 Speed).

Back