• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec transmission swap?

Mr. Milba

Reaction score
Am thinking about putting in a 5 or 6 speed Tremec. Any thoughts on either. I’m running a 391 rear end, 383 4 speed. At 70 mph on the highway it’s turning over 3000 rpm. It seems it would really like a 5th or 6th gear. Plus’s and minus’s would be greatly appreciate.

quikbird

Reaction score
Switching to a tremendous requires making changes to the trans tunnel. It’s bigger around and the shifter is in a different place. That said there are kits to do this. Another option is gear vender overdrive

BKSRR

Reaction score
I've got a 70 RR with the same setup as yours....I'm thinking that the Passion Performance 5 speed is the "ticket'. According to their website....it's a direct "bolt-in"... they know their stuff... $6k is the price

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Hey Mr Milba, I went the Gearvendors OD route, bolted to the back of my 4 speed (minus extension housing). Im running 4:10's out back, so now its the best of both worlds. I run a 275/60 tire out back and at 60mph im cruising on about 2400rpm (down from 3000 in 4th gear).
It took some very slight massaging of the trans tunnel, maybe not the greatest idea if your car is a concours restoration, but it worked great for me.

quikbird

Reaction score
a friend and I put our names on the list and at that time we were in the 400, s on the list. It took a couple years to work our way down the list but they were finally delivered to us about 2 years ago

Back