• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undercoating the bottom of the car now that the engine is ou

nicanor

Reaction score
Now we have the engine, trans and drive shaft out and I want to undercoat the car between the back of engine compartment. I'm just undercoating to the rear axle and the rest when I pull the gas tank. September we are rebuilding the front end and installing disc brakes. We'll do the whole front end then.

I know most Roadrunners didn't have undercoating. This one shows signs that at one time it was undercoated. The wheel wells shows a lot of undercoating but would need to be done again.

So the question is: if I was building a numbers matching car, would I undercoat the wheel wells and under the car, paint it black or the body color R4?

Thanks for reading this long post,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Barry, it sounds as if your care was not undercoated,They did the wheel wells on all cars. The bottom of the car would be a gray primer they dipped the car in which varied in shade because the tank was filled with what ever showed up and then the car was painted with over spray on the primed bottom. Then the under coat. This is what an under coated bottom looks like. I left it off I figured it could be added later.

Back