• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on My Project 69 Roadrunner

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just a quick update. Not sure if I should have put this into the thread I already started or not, but in the Pics section I put pictures of the Sunfire Yellow RR I'm restoring. Here's the latest:

A Navy buddy of mine has a body shop in Pittsburgh, PA and he's giving me a great deal on the body/paint work. $13,500 for complete disassembly, media blast, parts inventory, metal and frame work, rebuild and paint. So far with the way I want to build the engine, it's looking like about $7,000. Not sure about the interior yet, but I'm thinking $3K should get it nice. Then the suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, tranny, rear, exhaust, etc. will likely be another $3K to $4K. All in with my purchase price I'm thinking about $34K. The engine is more than I thought, but want to do it the way I want it the first time. Essentially it will be a new car. I'm told the body work will be 4 to 6 months in Pittsburgh, then back to me in South Florida.

I'll update on pictures as the process moves forward. How do these prices seem to you guys?

Thanks, John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Hey Guys, just a quick update. Not sure if I should have put this into the thread I already started or not, but in the Pics section I put pictures of the Sunfire Yellow RR I'm restoring. Here's the latest:

A Navy buddy of mine has a body shop in Pittsburgh, PA and he's giving me a great deal on the body/paint work. $13,500 for complete disassembly, media blast, parts inventory, metal and frame work, rebuild and paint. So far with the way I want to build the engine, it's looking like about $7,000. Not sure about the interior yet, but I'm thinking $3K should get it nice. Then the suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, tranny, rear, exhaust, etc. will likely be another $3K to $4K. All in with my purchase price I'm thinking about $34K. The engine is more than I thought, but want to do it the way I want it the first time. Essentially it will be a new car. I'm told the body work will be 4 to 6 months in Pittsburgh, then back to me in South Florida.

I'll update on pictures as the process moves forward. How do these prices seem to you guys?

Thanks, John
If he knows what he's doing that's a great price :thumbsup:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a verygood deal as my buddy paid $16,500 for his and that was just paint and needed body work and this was a 12,000 mile car and a very clean car to.

Also it was a Duster alot smaller then our RR.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Well, my only reservation is that he's not a "restoration" shop, but a regular body shop. He swears he'll make me proud and I trust him 100%. The best quote I got in South Florida from a restoration specialty shop was $25K minimum and up to a year to finish.

In the end, I'm sure my buddy will do a very nice, clean job. Maybe not what the classic restoration shop could do, but got to make it fit the budget.

John

69B5

Reaction score
Hi John
I have restored two Mopars. This doesn't make me an expert.
But in my opinion you have over come the first BIG hurtle in your statement that you trust your friend 100%. If the feeling is mutual you have a win/win.
If he has not done restoation work before, let him know that your only a phone call away to answer any questions. Work as a team. Be patient, good craftmanship takes time.
Allways remember it's the end result your after!
The price your friend quoted you seems fair to me but things do crop up.
I allways insisted that if any uninspected thing did show up, talk to me.
In the end you both will have a car your proud of.
Best wish's! :cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hmmmm...Pittsburgh huh? might hafta go chec youre car out.(/color]

moparstuart

Reaction score
JJRJR said:

Thanks, John
I hope the guy is a great great great trusted buddy , I have never heard of a good experience where the car is that far away from the owner . Dont pay in advance for sure , get regular updates !!!! get detailed pictures emails constantly and still plan for them to take 3 times longer then promised and for it to cost more !!!!!! If u are not close to stay on top of them most times it wont happen . Call constantly , in this buisness the squeeky wheel gets the grease , in other words dont let the blow u off at all stay on top of them . I'm talking from several nightmare personal experiences and many other stories ive heard . stuart

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Does he know that the engine bay needs to be body color? Is that included in that price?

Paint it black and the kills the car.

A31PKG

Reaction score
13.5K to do the body & paint on your car is a killer deal. I believe 25-30 is a closer estimate based on your pics - and that may be a bit low. There are many things to factor into this. Will the car be "turn key" when completed? Or, will you be doing some work yourself? Are you going to give him a stripped shell, partially stripped, or complete? All advice given thusfar is good...Good luck with it :thumbsup: !

JJRJR

Reaction score
Well, potential change in plans. Ran into a guy that restores Mopars and he's like 20 miles from my house. He does this more as a hobby, but has a website and appears to do very good work. Maybe you know him? www.challengergary.com

Spoke with him for 20 minutes tonight and he seems like he really is interested in the final quality of his product, etc. He's gonna take a look at the car and give me a ballpark of the cost. I'm starting to think shipping it to Pittsburgh may not be a great idea afterall. I'm taking comfort in the fact that Gary works on Mopars almost exclusively and works for a VERY reasonable hourly rate. Take a look at his website and let me know what you think.

He does what he calls "driver quality resortations." As he told me, it will be a great job and better than new, but it won't pass muster with the guys that will pay $80K for that car. Not what I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks guys, the saga continues.

Best, John

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I would certainly take the time to consider things fully. 20 miles away makes it easy to check him out upfront and during the job.

moparstuart

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Well, potential change in plans. Ran into a guy that restores Mopars and he's like 20 miles from my house. He does this more as a hobby, but has a website and appears to do very good work. Maybe you know him? http://www.challengergary.com

Spoke with him for 20 minutes tonight and he seems like he really is interested in the final quality of his product, etc. He's gonna take a look at the car and give me a ballpark of the cost. I'm starting to think shipping it to Pittsburgh may not be a great idea afterall. I'm taking comfort in the fact that Gary works on Mopars almost exclusively and works for a VERY reasonable hourly rate. Take a look at his website and let me know what you think.

He does what he calls "driver quality resortations." As he told me, it will be a great job and better than new, but it won't pass muster with the guys that will pay $80K for that car. Not what I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks guys, the saga continues.

Best, John
sounds like a much better plan , but still check him out really well . Get several referances from him and testimonials ! and dont pay up front .

JJRJR

Reaction score
OK guys, finally got the engine out and it's going to a racing shop this week. Spoke to the body guy locally and he said it's a little rougher that I thought. About 300 hours of work and $6,000 in metal parts, etc. Oh well, I have the car now I have to make it nice.

Question: He said that the trunk lid needs to be replaced and AMD doesn't have them. Anyone know where I can get a decent trunk lid for a 69 Runner? Please help. Also need front and back seats. Not sure what I've gotten myself into, but the wife seems to be taking it well. Looking like about $30K all in with the engine, body and interior. Ouch.

Thanks.

John

Back