• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN LOCATION

V269

Reaction score
A buddy is thinking of buying a 68 road runner. We looked at it yesterday. I could not find the vin stamped anywhere. Does anyone know where it is on a 68 ?

Ken.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the radiator support and on the top of the trunk drip rail on the driver's side near the middle and under the weather strip. Same as your '69.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
Will not be on engine or trans. That started in 69.

Maybe. Maybe not. '68 seems to have been a transition year...so some had them...some didn't. Do a few quick searches on the net and you'll find some examples of both... On '68s the numbers are often found on the back of the engine where they mate to the tranny. Check around the 11:00 or 12:00 o'clock position...

Also on '68s the numbers found on the rad support & drip rail are (usually???) the VON and not the VIN. Just a point of clarification...so hopefully the car in question still has the fender tag...

Here's a good read on '68 numbers. Check out the middle section of this article:
http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/Mo ... t2006.html

V269

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
On the radiator support and on the top of the trunk drip rail on the driver's side near the middle and under the weather strip. Same as your '69.

Well that's what I thought too but they are not there. This car does not have a fender tag or a vin on the dash and I'm not convinced that it is a runner. No motor or trani in it but has both in the garage. Not numbers matching to the car he says. Buddy does not care about that and was thinking of just a fun driver. There is a mess of parts to go with it as well. Need's a little work but is a very good base to work with. I personally think it could be a Satellite. Pedal's have chrome trim and look's to have Satellite emblem on horn button. However dash look's like the standard runner dash. No bling. I don't know, I'm confused about this one. Anyone else have any answers ?

droptop

Reaction score
What about the brakes? Road Runners and GTX's would have 11" brakes and all others will have 10" brakes. Same with the sway bar.

Back