• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Stamping

V269

Reaction score
Hey guy's I had a fellow tell me yesterday that the 69' year model runner did not have a vin number stamped on the block or the trani. He said they stamped them before and after 69. All my book's say they are factory stamped. Since my car doe's not have the original motor I thought I'd like to hear from someone that has a number's car. I have a 4-speed trani in my car that is from a 69 and it has a build date of Feb., 69 and it has a vin stamped on the pad on the pass. side of the case. Is this guy blowing smoke or what ? Ken. :loco:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
IIRC....chrysler started stamping engines and trannys in mid '68,so '69s for sure had them.

V269

Reaction score
Yeah thank's A12 I think he must have his year's mixed up but he was ready to argue the point with me. My engine is a 68' and has the vin stamped on the oil pan rail at the rear and this is where I thought they were for 69 as well. Probably later year's as well.

mcmopar

Reaction score
'69 VIN stampings on the engine were on the pass. side oil pan rail in the vicinity of the engine mount.

V269

Reaction score
Thank's fellow's for the info. I thought they were stamped. Ok, here is another question for you that is off the topic. And I know how we can get off the topic here at times. I just had my new legendary interior put in last week and it does look sweet btw. My installer found the hardware under the old seat cover's for headrest's. I did not even know it was there since there are no headrest's. My question is did all custom decor package's like mine have headrest's on the seat's ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ken King said:
Thank's fellow's for the info. I thought they were stamped. Ok, here is another question for you that is off the topic. And I know how we can get off the topic here at times. I just had my new legendary interior put in last week and it does look sweet btw. My installer found the hardware under the old seat cover's for headrest's. I did not even know it was there since there are no headrest's. My question is did all custom decor package's like mine have headrest's on the seat's ?
That all depends on the date of build! The early cars didnt have them but did have the hardware as you found.

V269

Reaction score
Thank's 69hemibeep. I'm not sure of the build date of my car as there was no build sheet or fender tag. From the back of the original door panel's there is a factory Chrysler stamping with a date on it of Jan. 69 so I was kind of thinking it is an early built car. Not sure though. What would you think of this ?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thr headrests were a mid year option. I've heard before where others have been recovering their non headrest seats and found the hardware.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ken King said:
Thank's 69hemibeep. I'm not sure of the build date of my car as there was no build sheet or fender tag. From the back of the original door panel's there is a factory Chrysler stamping with a date on it of Jan. 69 so I was kind of thinking it is an early built car. Not sure though. What would you think of this ?

If your car still has its original K-Member then it will get you within a few days of the actual build date. There is a stamping on the front that closely coincides with the build date. Check out this thread for details.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=612&hilit=date&start=0

Ray

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
They were an option before Jan 01 1969, and standard after Jan. 01, if you like them and can get a set I would say put them on.

V269

Reaction score
A12, this is fantastic news about the k frame stamping. I believe mine is original. I have owned the car for 28 years and it has never been altered since I've owned it. Do don't you know how long I have been trying to get this info. I have tracked the car back 2 owners but no info I don't already know exsists. This is great news. I never had anyone tell me this before and I have never noticed the stamping. I just got home from our local cruise night and can't wait to go check it out. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :beep:

3BIRDSIX, you are absolutely right about the headrest's. I love how they look and just as soon as I can find a couple with the bezels I will have them recovered and installed. Seen lot's of runner's with them and really like them. My son say's they will help him from getting whiplash. Ha Ha. Thank's a bunch guy's. I let you know when I check the date stamping. :thumbsup:

Ken.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ken King said:
A12, this is fantastic news about the k frame stamping. I believe mine is original. I have owned the car for 28 years and it has never been altered since I've owned it. Do don't you know how long I have been trying to get this info. I have tracked the car back 2 owners but no info I don't already know exsists. This is great news. I never had anyone tell me this before and I have never noticed the stamping. I just got home from our local cruise night and can't wait to go check it out. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :beep:

Ken.

Always happy to help a fellow RR guy out... :thumbsup:

:jester:
Ray

V269

Reaction score
Well I crawled under the runner today and looked at the k-frame. Found some numbers. The numbers 2 1 stamped heavy and spaced like this. Ahead of these numbers appear to be some letters. They are stamped very lightly and look to be M Y O or M K O so the whole thing look's like M Y O 2 1. It is really hard to tell what the letter's are so I had my kid's with better eye sight look at them and they both think it look's like M Y 5 2 1. Does this mean anything to anyone ? I checked the original door panels and found the date on the back saying JAN. 28 1969. Is it possible that with the numbers I found on the k-frame that my car could be a Feb. or a May car ?

V269

Reaction score
Update, well I think my car is a Feb. car. I checked the date on the glass of the car and all say Jan. 69. Also I looked at the tags on the seatbelts and they too say 1969 first quarter. I found a website that has different date codes and locations and so far they point to a Febuary birthday.

Back