• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water leak near my E brake pedal.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well thought I had the problem solved. Water is accumulating in the curve of the dash near my E brake and dripping out on the carpet there. We really poured the urethane to gasket surface of the car for the front window. I know that everyone says it is leaking around the window gasket but just don't see how. Not being able to get the butyl calk and using urethane that my window installer used. I am looking into the wiper pivot seals. The new ones look like they have just melted. I noticed this after washing the car and spraying it off with the water hose sprayer on jet. I stand back and don't get close to the car. Well, if you guys have any idea would appreciate it. Got a spray bottle and going to fill with part liquid dawn and water and spray my pivot seal are and use my air blow off tip. Will look to see if that bubbles up inside. Then will spray it around the window and look again. Just to say we flooded the corners near A pillar knowing that is a water problem with the gasket for the window. Yes, ran plenty up the pillars and across the top near the roof. We also put it into the seam where the glass fit into the gasket also. Spent hours cleaning up the excess calk. Has anyone used the black RVT sealer to stop the leaks.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok after further inspection have seen that the windshield wiper pivot is leaking. The seals are just destroyed. So have the set from year one coming. Going to put the grease fitting on them. Does anyone else find that the pivot seals are junk now days. Don't remember where the first ones came from maybe have better results with these. Not looking forward to crawling under the dash and doing this. LOL.

HD539

Reaction score
Ok after further inspection have seen that the windshield wiper pivot is leaking. The seals are just destroyed. So have the set from year one coming. Going to put the grease fitting on them. Does anyone else find that the pivot seals are junk now days. Don't remember where the first ones came from maybe have better results with these. Not looking forward to crawling under the dash and doing this. LOL.
I feel for you Russ, its not as easy as it used to be.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Related.
3M 08509 the go to for installation is unavailable.
I managed to find a NAPA with one still on the shelf.
Sumitt had 100 on back order as of a couple weeks ago.
I found this Mfg . Think they specialize in glass products.
Going to try their "flow able " butyl as an additon to my back glass install.
The 3M ribbon promoter says "paddle" sealant around the glass edge after installation.
Think this might be the thing to augment the ribbon seal.
I would not use silicone if this non setting product lives up to the advertising.
Screenshot_20230723_123843.jpgScreenshot_20230723_123812.jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
A company called Idea said they had butyl on back order and placed an order for the three m product. After months of waiting and calling they told me it could not be gotten. Asked if they knew of another company that made the calk but to no.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Russ, You know my secret to solving water leaks.
“Dont wash your car ever”
Dry wash only
that dont work in Florida with pop up rain and i mean monsoon rain and the mold will grow on anything that dont get washed don't even talk about the love bugs :BangHead:

Johnnyscarnuts

Johnnyscarnuts
Reaction score
that dont work in Florida with pop up rain and i mean monsoon rain and the mold will grow on anything that dont get washed don't even talk about the love bugs :BangHead:
oh, i always have my classics inside, espesically if rain is near, but i hear ya some times there could be a pop up shower.
Russ don't all mopars leak threw the cowl?, I know all my 67-69 barracuda's are built that way, the water come right in threw the vents. terrible design

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It did not leak for quite a while. Then had to address the window gasket and put sealer where the glass goes in. Then everything was good but now those pivot arms are my problem, I think. Have the new kit with the grease fittings. I found that the pop out windows leaked down into the framework and out the rockers when restoring the car fixed that no more leaks there. The hole car got bed lined inside and should protect it from rusting there. But water is not a good thing on metal even if painted. LOL.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
If everything is reasonable good nothing leaks.
But none of them hold up especially well to pressure from a garden hose.
Using a spray and not a jet stream is best
They just aren't made like new cars in that regard.
I don't want a car I can't get wet.
We are all just caretakers of our stuff for the next person and I don't run a museum.
I've driven A bodies daily for 25 years with home made wiper seals.
Nothing leaks in normal use.
Yea. I buy them now.
But back then I cut my own from free Micro Mesh sanding blocks.
Seemed like the correct stuff.
Never use the wipers anyway.
RainX.

Johnnyscarnuts

Johnnyscarnuts
Reaction score
Sry you having troubles Russ,
But If your gonna get it wet just make sure its from the belt down.
older cars & especially mopars are notorious for water Leaks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It started a leak in the same place and stopped it but putting sealer between the glass and the gasket on outside. It just might be that urethane is not holding back the water. Will see after fighting with putting on the new pivot seals. LOL.

Back