• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, Bambi is a little bit LOUDER now...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So...I had three of my buddies in from out of town this weekend. All car guys so we dragged the A12 and my '74 Duster out and went riding around on Saturday before the beer started flowing and curtailed any further automotive related activities...

I'm now going to interrupt this story with a reminder. The regulars here will remember that a few months ago I was out beating on Bambi and had the throttle stick wide open. A rather harrowing experience. I thought that I had corrected the problem with the throttle cable. Well, apparently not...now back to the story...

So we're headed down a somewhat desolate stretch of road going over to visit the guy with the Daytona, Superbird, Boss 302, Rebel Machine, etc... After slowly rolling away from a stop sign I laid into the loud pedal. Banged second and am now grinning from ear-to-ear. The grin quickly went away as I realized I was no longer in control of the air & fuel flow. Couldn't pull the pedal off of the floor and was quickly running out of useable RPM. Ronnie Sox time again. Safely negotiated the 2-3 power shift and turned my attention back to the stuck gas pedal. Nope. Short-shifted 3rd under full power and went back to trying to unstick the throttle. With my left foot mashing the brake pedal with all of my might and my right foot desperately tugging at the gas pedal I was fighting a losing battle. Reached down and killed the ignition. Still couldn't unstick the pedal. My friends in the Duster behind me later told me that they thought that they saw raw fuel coming out of the tail pipes at this point; they did. It must have filled up the mufflers because just as I was getting it slowed down it backfired and the resultant explosion sounded like a bomb went off under the car. Lost both mufflers. Just blew them wide-a$$ open. They said the fireworks display under the car and out the tail pipes was rather impressive when viewed from behind... Great.

So I spent the rest of the weekend with them making "Puff the Magic Dragon" jokes about my beloved RR... :toetap:

I'll figure out what to do about the exhaust later; right now I'm in the market for a new throttle cable...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
So...I had three of my buddies in from out of town this weekend. All car guys so we dragged the A12 and my '74 Duster out and went riding around on Saturday before the beer started flowing and curtailed any further automotive related activities...

I'm now going to interrupt this story with a reminder. The regulars here will remember that a few months ago I was out beating on Bambi and had the throttle stick wide open. A rather harrowing experience. I thought that I had corrected the problem with the throttle cable. Well, apparently not...now back to the story...

So we're headed down a somewhat desolate stretch of road going over to visit the guy with the Daytona, Superbird, Boss 302, Rebel Machine, etc... After slowly rolling away from a stop sign I laid into the loud pedal. Banged second and am now grinning from ear-to-ear. The grin quickly went away as I realized I was no longer in control of the air & fuel flow. Couldn't pull the pedal off of the floor and was quickly running out of useable RPM. Ronnie Sox time again. Safely negotiated the 2-3 power shift and turned my attention back to the stuck gas pedal. Nope. Short-shifted 3rd under full power and went back to trying to unstick the throttle. With my left foot mashing the brake pedal with all of my might and my right foot desperately tugging at the gas pedal I was fighting a losing battle. Reached down and killed the ignition. Still couldn't unstick the pedal. My friends in the Duster behind me later told me that they thought that they saw raw fuel coming out of the tail pipes at this point; they did. It must have filled up the mufflers because just as I was getting it slowed down it backfired and the resultant explosion sounded like a bomb went off under the car. Lost both mufflers. Just blew them wide-a$$ open. They said the fireworks display under the car and out the tail pipes was rather impressive when viewed from behind... Great.

So I spent the rest of the weekend with them making "Puff the Magic Dragon" jokes about my beloved RR... :toetap:

I'll figure out what to do about the exhaust later; right now I'm in the market for a new throttle cable...

PUFF :lmao: This is worthless without pics!!! But I'm glad your all right.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
WOW, at what point did you need to change your underwear?
That sounds scary to say the least. :eek:

Any other damage other than the mufflers?
Did the whole situation lead you to suck down a couple more beers than you planned? :cheers:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
WOW, at what point did you need to change your underwear?
That sounds scary to say the least. :eek:

Any other damage other than the mufflers?
Did the whole situation lead you to suck down a couple more beers than you planned? :cheers:

I was trying to kinda gloss over that whole underwear thing... :lol:

No other damage detected. Pulled the hood off and gave the throttle cable a tug at the carb to free it. She fired right back up. It's just a little bit noisier in the cockpit now...

Just got me started on the beers a little bit earlier than planned... :cheers:

Bob - I'll try to take some pics next weekend so as to upgrade the thread... I'm off to Seattle this week so I won't have a chance before then... Once posted I'm sure you'll enjoy the pics though - I did a very thorough job on the mufflers... :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
Good job getting it reigned in Ray. That could of turned out a lot worse than it did. There was a Lexus that had the throttle stick while being driven by a California Highway Patrol officer off duty and it killed him and his family. Sooo...I am glad your okay as well as Bambi. Maybe the throttle stuck because you havent been tipping here like the other girls. :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Maybe the throttle stuck because you havent been tipping her like the other girls. :lmao:

Good point. I'll slip a $20 under her lap belt the next time I'm out in the garage... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out OK Ray. I know the feeling as it happened to me in my Barracuda. While it has no where near the power you've got, it is still enough to get your attention and say, now WTF is going on?!! :eek: !

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the sound of two mufflers blowing up will get your attention. Mine did that when we were trying to get it running right a couple years ago. ad the stuck throttle will definatly get your full attention. had that happen once in my Charger.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
glad your all ok ray. hope you solve it soon. as for me i use a 6 cyl. cable. gives you just a little more cable to work with. :rimshot: :cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana: :drive: :drive:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Years ago, I recall there being a bulletin from Mopar about the A12 carbs sticking. Do you have an original set?

The replacements were supposedly fixed.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Years ago, I recall there being a bulletin from Mopar about the A12 carbs sticking. Do you have an original set?

The replacements were supposedly fixed.

They would stick closed. The cure was to lightly polish the bores so the butterflys didn't stick.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of concern everybody...seemed somewhat routine to me given some of the POS hot-rods I've had over the years... :lol:

Bambi's six barrel set-up is pulling mock-up duty on the new engine. There is an Eddy Performer sitting on top of a factory cast iron intake on her presently.

ACME

sam z

Reaction score
Holy S#$% I would have done a holy S#$% in my trousers. I'm glad
you're ok. I used to own a not-so-hot 67 coronet that the throttle stuck
open on due to a broken motor mount. Scared the .... well, you know.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I still need to snap a photo to show you guys my customized mufflers - which means jockeying the cars around so I can get Bambi up on the lift. With all of the car shows this month I just haven't been out in the garage playing at all. I was however quickly reminded of this unfortunate episode on Saturday morning when I fired Bambi up so that I could move her and get the gold Duster out of the garage. Let's just say that I'm not used to her being loud like that...and I do not like it at all... :brickwall:

Back