• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it worth?

htbhemi

Reaction score
I am trying to buy back the 69 hemi roadrunner I ordered and purchased new in 1969. I located the car by accident and the gentleman I sold it to in 1970 has owned since his passing in 2009. Car was converted to race car by me and sold to him without engine, trans (4speed) and Dana rear. He put in his own high compression hemi, X ram and push button torqueflite.

Car was originally a B5 blue, hemi, 4 speed, AM radio and mat black hood stripes. No power steering or brakes - had drum brakes.

It is much the same as when I sold it to him 42 yrs ago. Car was highly modified and would need a lot to restore but, has original paint and only slight rust at base of rear window. Needs heater, radio and engine converted to lower compression to be reliable on street.

Car has a neat history. Any ideas what I should offer?

Thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without any accompanying photos this question a virtual mine field... As the original owner you probably have more interest than the casual RR enthusiast...making it worth more to you than perhaps others...

Head over to the Introductions Section and start a "hello I'm a newbie" thread. We're always eager to meet and greet new members. Welcome. :cheers:

ACME

htbhemi

Reaction score
You are likely correct about the value being more to me as the original owner than to someone just looking to buy a hemi car.
I'm trying to buy based on facts and present value concensus. I've had lots of hemi cars - dragsters and some original cars that make me "sick" when I think when I sold them - 64 Plymouth Savoy alumium car and 68 Hemi Barracuda factory race car. But, at the time, I was selling them for other projects and gave no consideration to future value. I was not the original owner on those vehicles though as I was on this one. I think I'll take your advise and post a couple photos of the cars - including the one I'm asking about it's value. - Thanks

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but the first thing I would do is make sure you do not let the car go to another buyer. You might want to offer him a few bills to hold the the car and let you match any offers.

As far as worth, the fact that you are the original owner should not be a factor. The fact that the buyer might have sentimental value for the car probably will. In the end, you should do the research, come up with the most you would be willing to pay and then make an offer. The only thing he can say is "no". If you have the assurance that you can match any offer, see what it goes to, and then decide if you want to match it.

Good luck.

htbhemi

Reaction score
Thanks all and that's what I am doing here - some research to see what the market is for a 1969 Hemi Roadrunner, post coupe with low miles on odometer but one that has been modified, stripped of radio, heater, runs on race gas, has non original engine, automatic in place of original four speed. The original hood still remains, sans the cold air stuff from underneath. Car has a six pack hood on it now. I checked with Mancini and they seemed to say - maybe $35K for a running, real hemi car but without original driveline and in need of moderate restoration. I'm sure someone has bought or sold something similar. I also see restored, numbers matching cars from anywhere from $40K to 120K. I suspect the ones in the $100K range don't sell and the real number for matching number cars is maybe in the $50,s - $60's. The owner was not really trying to sell and has had the car in a storage garage for two years. He'd like to do some other "stuff" and the money would be nice right now. We're both just checking to see what a fair number might be. Since his uncle owned the car for 40 plus years, the nephew feels it would "honor" him for it to go back to the original owner. He says he was "offered" $60K by someone who knows his uncle a couple of years ago. But, he's realistic in not knowing if that was just idle chat. I told him to "take it and run" if it's legit! We'll see how this little story works out! I put a few pics on the introduction page. Thanks all for your input!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I was going to peg it at 30-35K. Looks like Mancini agrees. I'm basing that on it being a solid body (15K ish) and a running Hemi (15k ish) and a bit more for the real Hemi chassis factor. I don't see him pulling much more than that for it. Sounds like it needs everything and is missing all the high dollar rare parts.

htbhemi

Reaction score
Thanks - more confirmation. Seems to be the general concensus range. I'll go to $40 if necessary - we'll see!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I saw the other post on it and it all seems to point that way. Going a bit higher than the rest would makes sense in your case. I sure wouldn't feel bad dropping 5-10K more than market for my own original hemi car. Your talking 10-20% on a car in that range. That is reasonable to overpay in such a case.

htbhemi

Reaction score
thanks - yeh, it is very rare to be able to find a somewhat rare car that that you ordered, waited for and owned over 40 yrs. ago - kinda neat. it will need work to get it into reliable street function as it has high compressions pistons, gears etc. but, that's not really a big deal as I've built lots of em' through the years. Thanks for your input.

Back