• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the secret to getting the dash off?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I'm getting all the electrical stuff out and disconnecting things like the wiper motor, but I have to get behind the dash to do it all. Is there a secret set of connectors or screws holding the thing on? Where are the main clips or bolts that I should be looking for?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
To get the dash out, you have to take the windshield out. Then you pull out the rubber gasket and there's a row of bolts on the top. There's a bolt on each side on the bottom.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Hang on... you want to get the WHOLE kit and caboodle out or just the upper/lower pads and switch panel? I'd think the only reason to get the entire dash out would be if you're planning a full on rotisserie type resto.

What exactly is the long term plan?

I hate to see you go through all that if you're just going to freshen up the interior. If the dash frame is really rusty and needs media blasting, then go for it. However it's not too bad, you can get around all the wiring with it in place. Just my 2¢...

Big John

Reaction score
Yep, you can do everything with the dash in the car. Its easier with the front seats out though.

If you do decide to take the windshield out, I'd recomend having a pro do it. I've done a few windshields in my time, but I still broke mine taking it out.

http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30&p=117

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't describe what I'm doing very well. I just have to get enough dash panels out of the way so I can get to the electrical stuff behind the dash and get the old wiper motor out if possible. I'm not doing an interior replacement at all with the car. I only need to get it looking good under the hood. I can deal with a cruddy dash and torn up seat. :jester:

Big John

Reaction score
Take the radio out to get to the wiper motor a little easier.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
like Big said, take the radio out, and the wiper motor is right there.
when you disconnect the harness from the instrument cluster, be careful, the pins on the circut board are easy to break.
if you're wanting to pull the instrument cluster out, you need to take the speed nuts off the pad that goes around the switch panel, and remove it to get to the bottom screws on the cluster.
now, getting all the wires back on the switches can be a PIA. actually having the winshield pulled, and removong the whole dash isn't a bad idea. About $45 around here. That way you can check for rust under the windshield rubber. And it make working on the dash a WHOLE lot easier, and saves SO much frustration. I did that with my other car. actually it didn't have a windshiled when I got it, so taking the dash out was easy.

John69RR

Reaction score
Pulling the ashtray gives you some more also. I recently pulled my wiper motor by going through the ashtray. It gives you a little more flexibility.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Very good ideas, fellahs! I don't know what I would do without this board and all of the help y'all give.

Back