• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats this Roadrunner worth?

tgl211

Reaction score
I'm considering a 1969 B5 blue bench seat auto with a matching numbers drivetrain, air grabber and 3.55 sure grip. Its also a manual brake/steering car so pretty bare bones. The paint looks great and the interior is very nice with new seat covers, headliner and carpet. The dash has a couple of cracks. The car starts/runs drives well in general and appears to be in good mechanical condition. The oil pressure gauge seems to read high at 75-80 psi. The trunk and rear quarters have been replaced and it appears to be a quality job, nothing visible from the exterior. I am concerned that there is a couple of quarter sized rust holes on the drivers side subframe directly next to the header collector. the rest of the undercarriage looks pretty good with much of it still covered in the original undercoating. The odometer reads 88,000 and the current owner of 20+ years believes it to be accurate. I've looked at NADA and Haggertys ratings and I would call the car a good #3(good) in general. I'm no expert by any means in this area and would appreciate any opinions on what the car is worth in the current market. Thanks in advance for your help!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would stay away from it unless your going to take it apart and change the frame rails. I think some one fiber glassed over rust if I'm seeing it correctly.

tgl211

Reaction score
I would stay away from it unless your going to take it apart and change the frame rails. I think some one fiber glassed over rust if I'm seeing it correctly.

Thanks for your response. I poked at that area pretty good until I had solid metal and I don't think there was any fiberglass. I will check it out more thoroughly to make sure. The rest of the rails all look good and solid. This is the one area that I thought might be a problem. Is patching/replacing that rail section prohibitively expensive or does it significantly hurt the value?

Beekeeper

Reaction score
replacing that rail is a big job like diassembling the whole front sheetmetal, removing the engine, drilling spot welds out,welding,paint you can see where this is heading. And it would be safe to say that you will find more than one suprise during the repair like replacing the floor pans that the rail is welded to. unless it's dirt cheap I would use the advice above and pass on it.

tgl211

Reaction score
replacing that rail is a big job like diassembling the whole front sheetmetal, removing the engine, drilling spot welds out,welding,paint you can see where this is heading. And it would be safe to say that you will find more than one suprise during the repair like replacing the floor pans that the rail is welded to. unless it's dirt cheap I would use the advice above and pass on it.

Thanks for the input. Not really what I was hoping to hear but that's the info I need to make the right decision.

moparchris

Reaction score
Also the quarters have the "quarter panel disease". If you look at the left rear quarter its too long behind the wheel oepning and sticking way too far out. Its typical of poor reproduction sheet metal and a novice install. Unless its real cheap I would run from it.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Yeah from that angle that wheel opening does look kinda wierd that is an expert eye right there I wouldn't have caught that so fast.
IMAG0320.jpg

tgl211

Reaction score
Thanks for the expert observations. The owner is very firm at $20,000. Sounds like I should pass at that price.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
At that price some unknowing person will buy it. My concern is if he took that short cut what else is hiding.

tgl211

Reaction score
The paint is 20 years old and still looks very nice so that appears to have been done right. Its really a beautiful car in person with matching #s so Id think it would be pretty appealing to the average
guy.

Coyote

Reaction score
At that price some unknowing person will buy it. My concern is if he took that short cut what else is hiding.

Oh Yeah! Mine was put together by someone that knew a LOT about MOPARs, but even more about money. Getting it squared away, I love it. Lots more work than expected! Old car fun, YIPPEE!
Ask Quikbird about his experiences of purchasing a nice clean good running RR! Hee, Hee, LOL!

tgl211

Reaction score
There are no side marker lights in the rear quarters either. I'm guessing those were standard and left off when the new quarters were installed. I'm fine with putting money into a car if it adds to the value and its a good investment. I'm not interested in a moneypit with no return however.

tgl211

Reaction score
At this point Im going to pass on the car at $20,000 per everyones advice. Im thinking its worth maybe $15,000 max and I know the owner will just feel insulted with an offer that low.
Thanks for the input, Id have never know about the issue with the quarters without it being pointed out here.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm thinking the quarters were patched not replaced. All the 69 replacements have the side marker holes punched in them already.

Last edited:
Back