• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel and Tire Recommendations

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all are well.

I'm having a 505 Stroker and Tremec 5 speed put into my 69 RR. I'm also ordering the S60 "dana 60" complete assembly from Strange Engineering with 3.54 gears.

The guys that are doing the work for me are highly suggesting to me that I get rid of my Cragar SS deep dish wheels and BF Goodrich Radial TA tires and get something bigger with more grip. Apparently while we're ordering the rear package, they need to know what size I want to put something on the rear I guess for the tires, I'm not really clear on all of this.

OK, what are you guys running with the higher HP/TQ combinations to get a better hook-up? He is recommending to me 18 x 10 in the rear and 17 x 8 in the front. I am clueless when it comes to tire and wheel sizes. I'm told that I can't buy a Z-Rated tire in the size that I'm running now.

How much tire can I get under the car with a stock size axle? Any thoughts on wheel and tire brands and sizes? I am partial to the "old school" look which is why I got the Cragar SS to begin with, but if I need to upgrade to get the most our of my new set up, then I'll have to bite the bullet.

Essentially I'm told that getting the S60 is a waste of money if I'm going to stick with the BF Goodrich Radial TA tires.

Any comment and thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"are highly suggesting to me that I get rid of my Cragar SS deep dish wheels "

these people should be tarred and feathered promptly.....

quikbird

Reaction score
Wheel sizes sound right. Double check back space. I think it is supposed to be about 4.5 inches. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with cragars. I'm pretty sure they come in those sizes. Now decide what kind of driving you want to do and get some great tires.
Ps get bigger set of u joints also.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up getting a darned good deal on 4 American Racing Torq II wheels and 4 Nitto 555 tires. 245/45/17 up front and 296/45/18 out back. I put the Cragar SS and BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on Craig's List, they are essentially brand new.

Looking forward to the new combination 505 stroker with the Tremec 5 speed and Strange S60 rear with 3.54 gears. She'll cruise really nice on the highway. I am told the new tires will be night and day difference in handling from what I'm used to.

Thanks again,

John

Back