• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel bearing adjustment question

Steve

Reaction score
My car failed it's annual heath check on the left front wheel bearing today.I've got all the replacement parts and looking in the manual,it says to tighten the adjusting nut to 90 inch-pounds.Do I not have to back off the nut so you can barely move the thrust washer with a screwdriver?

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
That sounds about right to me. It's only a light preload on the bearings. (7.5 ft.lbs.) I would only back it off if the cotter pin doesn't line up, otherwise lock it down.
Spin the hub and tighten the nut at the same time, then back it off slightly. Repeat this two or three times then give it the final torque. This will set the bearings for you.

Steve

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
That sounds about right to me. It's only a light preload on the bearings. (7.5 ft.lbs.) I would only back it off if the cotter pin doesn't line up, otherwise lock it down.
Spin the hub and tighten the nut at the same time, then back it off slightly. Repeat this two or three times then give it the final torque. This will set the bearings for you.
Thanks Marty :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
what Marty said! you able to get you car out finally I take it Steve?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve said:
My car failed it's annual heath check on the left front wheel bearing today.
Dr. Steve, do you give it its exam or does your health care cover birds :jester:

Steve

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
what Marty said! you able to get you car out finally I take it Steve?
Yes Dave.It's been almost 3 months,if I'd known it was going to be that long,I would have left it parked at my Mum's house.I've missed a load of shows as a result.Next door kept appologising as she didn't expect the work to drag on so long or cause me the inconvenience it has.On the plus side I've gained an extra 3 inchs space on the width of my driveway which makes getting the beeper in and out a piece of piss so it's not all bad :thumbsup:

Bob,not me mate :lol: all cars have to go for a Ministry of Transport (MOT test) every year to check they are roadworthy.I rather take a trip to the dentist I'll tell ya..I hate going :D

Steve

Reaction score
Took the car out for a proper run today(20 or so miles) and when I got back I felt the front hub and it was hot.Not red hot,you could touch it but hot,the brake drum was cool though.Is this normal or does the nut need backing off a tad? I torqued it to 7.5ft/lbs as per the book.

Steve

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
I wouldn't back the nut off. I'm assuming that you packed the hub with grease along with the bearings themselves right? There will be some heat generated normally. :thumbsup:
Yes Marty,packed bearings and hub correctly.I've never done a wheel bearing before and I was just worried about it getting hot.I don't want to burn out my new bearings and have to start all over again.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Steve said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
I wouldn't back the nut off. I'm assuming that you packed the hub with grease along with the bearings themselves right? There will be some heat generated normally. :thumbsup:
Yes Marty,packed bearings and hub correctly.I've never done a wheel bearing before and I was just worried about it getting hot.I don't want to burn out my new bearings and have to start all over again.
It doesn't sound like there's any problem to me. If you had said smoke was bellowing out of the wheel, well maybe.. :lol: You have to remember that there is friction on a bearing and it's going to develop some heat. As long as you're not getting burned when you touch it, don't sweat it. If you want just check the torque on the nut and make sure it's still right.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah Steve, what Marty said. warm yeah, too hot to touch no. just for piece of mind, jack up the wheel, and see if it's snug.

Back