• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel question

moparchris

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between American Racings Torq Thrust II's and the D's? I want to put some wheels on my Bee and I was leaning heavily towards Cragar S/S's but Summit Racing doesn't list the backspacing I need. So my second choice is the Torq Thrust D's but again the back space is limited. This is where the Torq Thrust II's come to the rescue, they offer exactly what is needed. After all this I am perusing Ebay and find this. Damn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R-T-dana ... 500wt_1182

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
he could be right.....
wannarunner said:
Don't qoute me, but I think the "D" means for Disc Brakes..
the craigers are pretty but chrome rusts and the unalug bolt pattern thing i dont like....i would go with a all aluminum wheel....looks just as good as chrome and lasts forever and lite weight :D

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Anyone know the difference between American Racings Torq Thrust II's and the D's? I want to put some wheels on my Bee and I was leaning heavily towards Cragar S/S's but Summit Racing doesn't list the backspacing I need. So my second choice is the Torq Thrust D's but again the back space is limited. This is where the Torq Thrust II's come to the rescue, they offer exactly what is needed.

The spokes on the original Torq Thrusts were flat on the backside; they worked fine with the drum drum brakes of the era. But as cars started appearing with front disk brakes these wheels would not clear the calipers. Hence the introduction of the Torq Thrust Ds, as noted by wannarunner. The spokes are curved to clear the calipers. The II's are the polished versions which are available in many different configs as you have discovered. These are what I put on the 'bu. The complete lack of any variablity in backspacing on the TTDs is partly what led me to go with the Halibrands on Bambi. That and the TTDs on an A12 thing has been done to death...if they're not wearing H hose reels they're wearing TTDs...

The Halibrands are available in a polished version if you're looking for something different...AND you want to be able to tailor the backspacing...

Mine are the painted versions intended to look more like the original magnesium wheels and have the flat "Halibrand Engineering" centers instead of the bullet shaped centers shown here..

moparchris

Reaction score
The guy selling the Coronet emailed me back and was quite helpful. Apparently you can order Cragars in any backspace and in a specific bolt pattern. I will call Cragar to confirm. I realize that the TTD's have been done to death but I really am tempted to put polished Centerline Auto Drags, but they aren't very period correct. I hate to say it but I like the chrome for ease of maintenance. When you own 11 cars and almost all of them have Weld Wheels you get real tired of polishing crap. Lets change this up. If this was your car what wheel would you run? Your answer has to be of the 15 inch variant or I will mail you a can of whoop ass.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Well as you might guess, I have a certain taste for the slot variety. I like that centerline crs1 wheel, halibrand also has a few variants of their own, more of a rectangular slot. Of course there's the traditional Ansen. In a "spoke" style, I've always liked the Convo Pros with the satin centers. :cents: :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
That thing is beggin' for some twenty-fours... :basketcase:

Hard to argue with Cragar S/S wheels on a Bee. Just look at the photos of that Coronet R/T... Plus you can get more wheel and tire under a Bee...unfortunately for us RR lovers...

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a set of Motor Wheel Flys on that car. They're hideous. If you find some please immediately send them to me for proper disposal...

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Go with black 15" steelies...... :cheers:

Yeah, that will be different & exciting...since that is what it has on it now... :basketcase:

There's a reason that these cars were literally driven home from the stealership (thank-you, Big), parked in the driveway, jacked up to take the H hose reels off, and had a set of slots, Cragars, Keystones, ETs, anything, thrown on them...oh nevermind...I know..."the world is flat"...put whatever you want on it Chris...as long as it isn't a mini-starter... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

V269

Reaction score
moparchris said:
The guy selling the Coronet emailed me back and was quite helpful. Apparently you can order Cragars in any backspace and in a specific bolt pattern. I will call Cragar to confirm. I realize that the TTD's have been done to death but I really am tempted to put polished Centerline Auto Drags, but they aren't very period correct. I hate to say it but I like the chrome for ease of maintenance. When you own 11 cars and almost all of them have Weld Wheels you get real tired of polishing crap. Lets change this up. If this was your car what wheel would you run? Your answer has to be of the 15 inch variant or I will mail you a can of whoop ass.

Chris, I think it look's bitchin just the way it is. Tough as hell. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
That thing is beggin' for some twenty-fours... :basketcase:

Hard to argue with Cragar S/S wheels on a Bee. Just look at the photos of that Coronet R/T... Plus you can get more wheel and tire under a Bee...unfortunately for us RR lovers...

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a set of Motor Wheel Flys on that car. They're hideous. If you find some please immediately send them to me for proper disposal...

Donk! :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/classic- ... 622wt_1167

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Chris, keep the steelies, nothing says sleeper then that! :cents:

Yeah, you'll sneak up on a lot of people...the ones that somehow miss the giant hood scoop that reads "SIX PACK" anyway... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:
Chris, keep the steelies, nothing says sleeper then that! :cents:

Yeah, you'll sneak up on a lot of people...the ones that somehow miss the giant hood scoop that reads "SIX PACK" anyway... :lol:

Oh, that's not just there for show??? :lmao: But if someone comes up from behind they would not see that thing on the hood and just see the steelies, then they would be in for a big surprise!!! :drive:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I couldn't give a rats a$$ what wheels you want. What are those two white streaks in the street in the left side of the pic :lol: :lol: :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
I couldn't give a rats a$$ what wheels you want. What are those two white streaks in the street in the left side of the pic :lol: :lol: :lol:
:toetap:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
I couldn't give a rats a$$ what wheels you want. What are those two white streaks in the street in the left side of the pic

looks like your in a world of shit now ....chris......bobs got PMS again :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back