• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's the engine build date

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where on my 383 is the build date stamped. I've been told it's around the distributor but I think it has been painted over. Is the surface vertical or can you see it when looking down at the block. Do I have to pull alternator to see it?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
EAD should be on the pad in front of the distributor on a 383.

VIN is on the side of the block, Quikie, not EAD. I think the VIN can be found on the block at the back by the belhousing on some earlier years. Someone else can chine in and confirm or refute.

Reaction score
Ok, yeah I got the VIN but am having trouble with build date on block. I will check the area in front of dist. Think it got painted over. I see a machined area but alternator is kinda in the way. Think I'll pull it off and use steel wool and see what I find. Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mine is on right side of motor above the oil pan to the front. Alternator area. The vin should be their. Back left side will find casting number's in block around the starter area. If it is a 69 runner it could have a 68 motor in it. They made a lot of block's in 68.

Back