• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Disc Brake Conversion Kit ?

Vermont Rocket

Reaction score
New owner. 70 Roadrunner with 4 wheels of the Dreaded Drums. I'm planning to install a 4 wheel disc brake conversion and want opinions. So far, I've looked seriously at PSI, MP Brakes & Wilwood. The MP kit uses the original drum spindles, but others require disc spindles which makes me wonder if MP has a better ( different ? ) mousetrap or they are just cutting corners. The Wilwoods are expensive & might be overkill for my occasional street driving, but who can argue with their reputation. I just want a good set that won't have problems. Any other suppliers I should consider ?
I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, sarcastic comments or random thoughts you guys have. I need to narrow my choices and get a good set of disc brakes in this machine. Thanks for your help, Rocket

quikbird

Reaction score
I installed a complete set of stainless steel brakes front and rear. They have worked out very well. They use standard drum spindle on front . Designed to fit, all new components, easy to install. Mp and ssbc started this niche about 10-12 years ago. Their kits work well.

metalstorm

Reaction score
I don't think you can put too good of brakes on a car and I am glad you are upgrading.I have the WW Pro street vented rotors on mine front,back with no problems.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
I have used the master power 4 wheel kit on a few cars including a 70 and my 440-6pk 69.
I liked their kit because the replacement pads are all available from your local parts store.
The stopping power was excellent.
I used the car in a hotchkis autocross event in Vegas and actually got second beating one of their cars with a professional driver.
I also liked the fact that I got everything in one kit.
Booster
MC
SS brake lines
Braided SS flex lines
and all new components for the brakes completely assembled.
Another plus is that it all fit in my 15" wheels.
Just my opinion; but as long as you have the front all apart go ahead and rebuild the upper and lower control arms, strut rods, torsion bars, replace the shocks and change the rear end fluid too.
silver RR burnin!.jpg
Hope this helps.

silver RR burnin!.jpg

A12

Reaction score
Every B-body Mopar I've owned up until the '69 GTX I'm currently driving since 2010 has had drum brakes all around even the '69 road runner I ordered new in 1969. When I first drove the GTX and hit the brakes (original power front disc brakes) I made myself a promise that "I WILL NEVER DRIVE ANOTHER MOPAR WITHOUT POWER DISC BRAKES!!!" I can't imagine an older Mopar with four wheel power disc brakes. I talked a friend of mine into buying a '69 GTX without power brakes, just non-power drums all around and when he first drove it he was on his cell phone on I-10 in El Paso, TX making me listen to the "roar of the motor and exhaust" when all of a sudden he gets this panic tone to his voice and I say "you just pulled off on an exit ramp didn't you?" and he screams "yeah and this thing won't stoooooopppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Kind of funny, but in reality if you were in the car not so much. So I send him links to the disc conversions, I think MP. He a multi line car dealer and when they gave him the total for the disc conversion he was so used to the price of some high end brake systems he thought they gave him the price for just one caliper. When they told him no that's for the entire conversion kit spindles and all and that was retail. MP thought he was upset about the quoted price total and so they gave him a lower dealer price and my friend then explained the shock was at how inexpensive it was for the entire kit and paid retail anyway, it was a deal in his eyes even at retail.

Power discs are the only way to go....................or stop that is, a bargain at any price.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat Rocket, but I'll only be converting the front to disc...I've talked to Dr. Diff and he was knowledgable and seemed to have quality stuff. I've seen his name in some threads and the price is right but I'm curious what everyone here thinks? http://www.doctordiff.com
Not hijacking your thread but hopefully generating some more info :)

J

Back