• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has added A/C?

mannye

Reaction score
I am looking to do this so I can drive the car a little more this coming year, but I'm afraid of two things:

1. It will cost an arm and a leg and not really work

2. It will ruin the value of my car as a "correct car" because of irreversible damage neede to install A/C.

Can someone speak to these?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You will need to drill in the firewall two large holes for the high and low side hoses and a small one for a drain, this would be for add on A/C. I don't know what it would take with a factory heater/ A/C box.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
4796.jpg

mannye

Reaction score
Ha! I'm inclined to go with the Continental style solution!

I figured there would be some firewall holes, but that's nothing permanent. A little welding can have that back to stock in no time. BUT does it work? My car is a no a/c car from the factory.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
You will need to drill in the firewall two large holes for the high and low side hoses and a small one for a drain, this would be for add on A/C. I don't know what it would take with a factory heater/ A/C box.

the firewall for a non a/c car and an a/c car are 2 completely different animals. the 2 stock heater boxes mount in different locations on the firewall because of the mounting studs.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
the firewall for a non a/c car and an a/c car are 2 completely different animals. the 2 stock heater boxes mount in different locations on the firewall because of the mounting studs.

Mac, Mannye mentioned in the "who is working on the car' thread that he was looking at the Classic Auto Air conversion set-up; I don't think he is contemplating the factory in-dash set-up. My take anyway. Mannye can clarify...

Mannye, the man you need to talk to about the degree to which this conversion works is Johnny McMoPar. His car is a factory air car, but with the CAA conversion under the hood and he's down here battling the same weather conditions. Seems to me that he's very happy with it IIRC. If you were to go with their entire package rather than converting to a factory in-dash set-up I think it minimizes the resale value issue as you could just yank it off and patch the firewall. Done. As for cost vs. return - you're the only one that can assess that. What's it worth to you to have air? Do you drive it enough in conditions that don't allow for the top to be down and a/c is required for you to justify the expense? If you're talking once or twice a year then why bother? Just drive the Jaguar Killer on those days... :lol:

I have the CAA conversion on Mrs. ACME's Swinger. Works great. Wish I had it on my Gold Duster vs. the old RV-2 V-Twin that takes 15 HP to turn... The Swinger was a no A/C car that I cut the firewall on and installed a '71 Duster factory underdash air set-up on. Of course that car isn't worth half of what yours is, so that was a no-brainer...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
george68hemirr said:
the men of the north have plenty of AC now :D
:yesnod: I love it when my snot freezes while shoveling two feet of snow. :lmao:

:basketcase: hope none you guys have the Honda snowblowers that turn into Kamakazis..... :eek:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
george68hemirr said:
the men of the north have plenty of AC now :D
:yesnod: I love it when my snot freezes while shoveling two feet of snow. :lmao:

:basketcase: hope none you guys have the Honda snowblowers that turn into Kamakazis..... :eek:

No sir, both of mine are Tecumseh powered. I never heard of the suicidal Hondas. Please explain. :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
I did it the expensive and hard way

:crazy: ...okay...I'll bite. Why not just use the A/C firewall as a template and cut the holes rather than reinventing the wheel...??? :huh:

Unless there was a bunch of damage or cancer that isn't visible in the photo I don't get it... :popcorn:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
I did it the expensive and hard way

:crazy: ...okay...I'll bite. Why not just use the A/C firewall as a template and cut the holes rather than reinventing the wheel...??? :huh:

Unless there was a bunch of damage or cancer that isn't visible in the photo I don't get it... :popcorn:
i started it way back in 96 before the easy add on kits of today , and I was anal and wanted it to look factory perfect . I still dont have working a/c in the car after all this . I wish i had waited for the easy kit . Changed the dash and all , but it needed a ralley dash installed anyway so A/C wasnt that big a deal .

John69RR

Reaction score
I added A/C to mine years ago also, before the kits. The condensor is from a 1967 Coronet Station Wagon I found in a JY. No new holes were drilled in the firewall for the installation. I also added a 26" radiator. The A/C unit itself is from a truck A/C company here in Houston. They outfit 18 wheelers, street rods etc... The holes in the lower left of the firewall are for the high and low hoses. I bought a kit from Bouchillon years ago for mounting the compressor where the Power Steering pump would be but I discovered that it would not work with Edelbrock heads. The heads overhang the block by about an inch therby interfering with the compressor. Fortunately the compressor fits over the boss for the power steering pump. A spacer is needed for alignment.
1969RoadRunner002.jpg
1969RoadRunner011.jpg
1969RoadRunner014.jpg
1969RoadRunner012.jpg
dcp_5122.jpg
dcp_4558.jpg
Roadrunner013.jpg

1969RoadRunner002.jpg

1969RoadRunner011.jpg

1969RoadRunner014.jpg

1969RoadRunner012.jpg

dcp_5122.jpg

dcp_4558.jpg

Roadrunner013.jpg

mannye

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mac said:

Mac, Mannye mentioned in the "who is working on the car' thread that he was looking at the Classic Auto Air conversion set-up; I don't think he is contemplating the factory in-dash set-up. My take anyway. Mannye can clarify...

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! I am indeed NOT looking to convert to a factory looking a/c conversion and I have since found out that we are talking about two relatively small holes in the firewall that can be easily covered up no problem if I ever sell it (unlikely).

As far as how often a/c is needed here... let me put it to you this way; I have to have the a/c on in the Jaguar Killer (lol LOVE THAT) pretty much all year round.

The heat and humidity here make putting the top down a kind of endurance trial if you are doing anything less than 40mph. I usually put the car away in April and it comes back out mid-November. The rainy/hot season is getting longer and longer each year. Having A/C would probably allow the driving season to last a little longer for me because I could put the top up in the rain and not look like I just stepped out of a pool after driving three blocks. But that's only if it works very well. And it better work well, because the cost of equipment and professional installation is in the 3K range. That's a lot of mojitos my friends!

Back