• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter worry list

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
After getting the 3310 carb working, I got to do a small amount of driving before putting the bird in storage. :brickwall:

WOW! Houston we have lift off. I'm not talking about a hood either. It really pulls good now over the 650 or less AVS.

I noticed it had a sqeak that occasionally came on high RPMs. Sounds like a losse belt, but belt is tight.

Got to the storage site, popped the hood. Alt is about to fall off. :facepalm: Not sure how to solve, either loctite the through bolt to the head or try a lock washer. I thought it had one. Didn't get to look it over much as my ride pulled up.

Really kinda surprised that the belt has been too loose all this time. It doesn't deflect much at all. I have March flat pulleys on it. :huh:

In the spring I will get that solved and get deeper into fine tuning the carb.

I also want to either get the A arm bolts worked loose and take it for a better alignment or change out some front end parts. I know the caster is off on the one side. Guy did a nice job otherwise but was afraid he would break the ancient bolts fixing that part. Car seems really off in cornering. Not confidence inspiring on the interstate so I had to ease off in even those gradual corners. Could only do 70-75 and feel good about it.

Need to determine why at 65-75 there is a vibation. At 85-90 it is smooth as silk. :huh: Maybe the tires have already flat spotted. Would have a shake at high speeds I would think.

Could be the nice chinese bearing I had to install in the front wheel :soap: Might also be expecting too much from a 41 year old car. Possible problem from the caster being off? Shake is in the steering wheel.

Then there is the mystery buzzing in the dash when you take the car out for the first time in awhile. I checked the bulkhead and cleaned and put dielectirc grease at the trouble spot awhile back. Amp gauge is bypassed. Might be the speedo? Sound goes away after awhile.

Never ends does it?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Just remembered the flasher went out again. My big 13 dollar made int eh USA unit last awhile and now doesn't work. The flashers worked but the turn signals were out so the nice Mexico POS I found under there last summer went in the can and in went the twice as expensive USA electronic flasher.

That worked great for a few months last year and now I only have turn signals. :soap:

Maybe bad bulbs? I know some have two filaments so they will work for some things but not others. Was real dissapointed when I found they didn't work anymore since I was so proud of kicking nonUSA parts on my Detroit car to the curb.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Here is a shot of the pulleys. Straight as a gun barrel. I know I had the bolts in tight. Some high RPM vibration must have shook them out. Could the alt not be gong along with the program at 5K or so? I really don't think the belt was all that loose. Maybe it got hard to turn at that speed?

The clear filter has been trashed as well since this was taken. Was just on there to make sure there wasn't any crud coming out of the tank after 5 years of storage.

69RR008.jpg

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
One problem at a time, I still think that car is very sharp, clean and uncluttered looking, so a few bugs can be dealt with over time

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm also conidering a set of Firecore wires next spring. Rep said the 8.5 set is what I want so the radio won't get interference. I need to make sure they will fit my looms. Those were on the car when I got it and they really do the trick.

moparchris

Reaction score
Funny I tell people about putting a 750 holley on their 383s and they look at me like I am from Mars. I swear its good for 40 hp!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
A 440 AVS would have been good, a big one, not the small one. #'s guys have run the cost up so much on those, that they aren't worth it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the buzzing behind the dash is the speedo cable. my Uncle had parked my truck for 5 years before I got it last year. cold or warm weather the cable would buzz for the first few miles, even after I oiled it. after a few months of everydy driving it quite.
my '68 Charger thet I had for 18 years had a vibration around 65. not bad, but enough to notice. under or over 65 it went away. was like that the hole time I had it.figured the driveshaft was out of balance. I had several sets of wheels and tires, and had replaced the wheels bearings, and it still had it.

Back