• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiring question

mopartink

Reaction score
I just got an uncut dash wiring harness and an original standard speedometer cluster that I'm installing now I never had the original cluster and always had just aftermarket gauges and my harness was cut up bad and half missing i made what harness i needed myself and have a couple questions about the new stuff.. my first question is the ignition switch which i never had either i found the parts store had a 68 switch in stock for $20 but no one has one for 69 except eBay and their allot more expensive i bought the one for the 68 and it will plug in only the ground terminal on the switch is not used and the diameter is smaller.does any one know if it will work and do the job if i can mount it? are the wires in the correct spots on the plug? would i have to run a ground to the switch or just leave the terminal unused? i also have a wiring diagram and there's a couple wires in the harness i cant find in the diagram to see where they go. mainly the 3 wire plug that wires from my map light also go to. i think its for the light delay timer but its not in the diagram all there is what they're calling a lights on warning buzzer but the wire colors don't match and i cant find the 3 wire plug that's in the diagram on my harness any help with this would be awsome and greatly appreciated thanks :huh:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There's a couple ignition switches on ebay right now. A little more pricey... but the correct switch.

It might be worth the extra $$ to keep from having to screw around with the wiring. :cents:

mopartink

Reaction score
I'm usually very good with wiring and reading diagrams and also figuring out interchanges, adapting, and fabricating things. I actually do allot of wiring and diagnostics in the transmission shop i work at. I was just being kinda lazy about sitting down and reading and studying the diagram on the ignition switch. thought maybe someone had a couple quick answers. But after studying the diagram and switches and scrounging around a local junkyard that had some old mopars I found most the answers i was asking. I figured out the 68 ignition switch will work and operates the same and the wires are all in the same locations only the ground terminal on the 68 switch is unused for 69. the only other difference is the 68 switch is smaller in diameter where it goes through the dash but i will easily figure something out for that. And i also figured out the 3 wire plug attached to my map light wires do go to what I'm pretty sure is the light delay timer thing not sure excatly what its called but its a small aluminum cylder shape with the 3 terminals. Actully one of the cars at the yard had a simalar map light and the same exact wiring so i grabbed 2 of those light delay things from 2 different cars incase one dont work lol, a couple chrome rings for the ignition switch, a couple other misc wire ends i was looking for, and a set of heater duct hoses that look like will work perfectly..well maybe this will help someone in the future with the same or similar questions..

Back