• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED WIW - 1969 Road Runner Q5 Seafoam with Matching 383.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don99Pablo

Reaction score
So I am looking at the following car as a project car to restore with my son. It is the same color my dad painted his 1966 Satellite that he had to sell when he got cancer and I was unable to buy back. As amazing as I think it would be to have my dream car in the same color, which I love by the way, I don't want that to cloud my judgement and could really use you guys help. I would like some input on what you think this car is worth and if it would be worth making an offer on. It does run, but needs a full restoration. Floor pans, trunk pan has been replace, and rear fenders have been replaced. That's about it. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Here are the photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9tRu_7FwsT8QWJUeTNpMmpSUmc

NEW1.jpg

NEW3.jpg

NEW4.jpg

NEW5.jpg

NEW6.jpg

NEW7.jpg

NEW8.jpg

NEW9.jpg

NEW11.jpg

NEW12.jpg

NEW13.jpg

NEW14.jpg

NEW15.jpg

NEW16.jpg

NEW17.jpg

NEW19.jpg

NEW20.jpg

NEW21.jpg

NEW22.jpg

NEW23.jpg

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Nothing matches on this car. Needs front quarter work, doors, as well as sill plates. Frame rails need cleaned and have been repaired which implies more rust. Needs new wiring harness, engine looks iffy, will need work. I personally would probably not go over 8k and would be reluctant to go that.

Don99Pablo

Reaction score
Nothing matches on this car. Needs front quarter work, doors, as well as sill plates. Frame rails need cleaned and have been repaired which implies more rust. Needs new wiring harness, engine looks iffy, will need work. I personally would probably not go over 8k and would be reluctant to go that.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I grew up in Mopars and can spot one from a mile a way, but I have never really done any work on a car, or was too young when my dad was doing his, to really know what I am looking at in regards to body work and the issues. I am wet behind the ears and trying to learn as I look for the right car. He is asking 10k but was thinking 6-8k max as I will also have to transport it.

I guess I have a question as well, would it be better to look for one that has the things I want (options, color, etc.) even if it takes more to restore, or find one that may have been (I don't mean to offend anyone) something like green on green but is solid and totally change it to make it what I want? Not like a clone per say, but a real Road Runner, just done the way I would like.

Goon

Reaction score
your gonna end up sticking over 15,000 in body, wiring, interior and engine alone, besides what you pay for it. if your not handy it's gonna cost u more money in the long run. I'd find one in better shape that you can drive. Wait till fall when people don't feel like paying for storage over winter. Not sure what u want to spend.

Don99Pablo

Reaction score
your gonna end up sticking over 15,000 in body, wiring, interior and engine alone, besides what you pay for it. if your not handy it's gonna cost u more money in the long run. I'd find one in better shape that you can drive. Wait till fall when people don't feel like paying for storage over winter. Not sure what u want to spend.

Goon, thanks for the feed back. I am looking to spend up to $12k, but would like to stay in the $10k range. I have convinced the wife to go for this and she would rather me be in the sub $5k range, but I know that's not going to happen. I can afford the money to restore it over time, and with my wife it's going to be a lot easier for me to throw chunks of $2-$5k a year at it over the next 2-5 years. I would catch hell if I went anything above $12k, and I will probably catch a little hell even at $10k, but I can smooth that over, I think, easier.

Some things, I guess come down to price, if you get it a good enough price would it be worth it? I know some things are just too far gone, but that is what I don't know how to determine yet and am looking to learn from you guys. To me it's not really about making money, but I don't want to just throw my money away either.

My uncle that lives about 4 hours away is a professional body man, over 30 years, and has offered to help some. He is super talented and has restored, for himself, a 1970 Superbird, 1972 Challenger, and is working on a resto-mod 1970 Challenger Convertible. He also helped on my dad's 66 Satellite. He is older and recently recovered from cancer so I know he doesn't want to do any more full rotisserie restorations, but said he would be glad to handle much of the basic stuff. As well, he is willing to teach me some stuff as we work on it.

I am pretty handy when it comes to electrical and interior fabrication. I worked in a car stereo shop installing and fabricating interiors for about 6 years in high school and college, so I fell pretty confident that I could handle some of that, and I am a super fast learner. I have a graphic design degree, but now manage the company that I started at straight out of college manufacturing tool kits for the military; and purchased, learned how to operate, and trained our employees on every piece of equipment we have, from CNC end mill routers to laser etchers.

I have sent my uncle these photos as well and will be talking with him today. There have been a few others I have come across that he advised me to steer clear of based on condition (worse condition than this one). He knows a heck of a lot about Mopars, restoration, and the cost to do it, but not as much on what the cost of Road Runners are going for as he hasn't been buying cars for a while, just Challenger parts.

Other than that I would probably be using Clark Classic Restoration, which is about 15 minutes up the road. I haven't been there yet, but from what I have heard they do amazing work and specialize in Mopars...but are not cheap.

Also, I have tried to decode some tags as I have been searching, and it looks like the tags are stamped different depending on the plant they came out of? Is that correct? Based on this fender tag, it looks like it only tells you the color, engine and tranny. Is that correct, or was this RR so basic it had absolutely no options, or did this plant not include that information on the tag and it would have been on the build sheet?

Thanks again guys for all your input! The more I get back from you the more I learn and the better I will become at identifying things for myself (hidden rust, incorrect parts, problem ares, etc.). I am a firm believer that the more you know the better off you are, and knowing is half the battle.

2Birds

Reaction score
Before i read any replies the number in my head was no more than 7k . The rust in the rear sub-frame rails is most likely more significant than the pics indicate. I would have to look closely at the caliber / quality of the replacement metal work (quarters, floor pans) as this may need to be redone to be safe and correct. If you quantify what you are starting with there will be fewer surprises along the way. From the pictures even with issues it is a start for the right price. Chris

quikbird

Reaction score
fender tag will tel you a lot of info. will have codes for paint, interior colors as well as options such as stripes, also some interior packages etc. there are some great books out there with all these codes in them so you can decode that fender tag.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There is not much on the tag it most likely is from the Lynch rd plant. Seafoam green top and bottom black high end bench interior with black painted doors, 383 HP

Don99Pablo

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I spoke with my uncle and he pretty much said the same thing. I think he used the term "bag of shit" and for me not to be offended, which I am in no way. I don't want to get into a money pit. He said that it could be restored, but at that point I am better off finding a more solid car to start with. I am learning. Looking at the pictures and getting his input is helping me identify the areas to look at, and what I am actually looking at. I really appreciate you guys on here helping out. I know the right one will pop up and in the mean time, I will keep searching and learning.

Goon

Reaction score
My car was from Louisiana, body and underneath were in really good shape. Only big problem was the frame rails up front were rotted from the inside out, pine needles were inside the rail blocking the drain holes. Didn't notice till I had to do front brakes. Take your time to look every car over. The more u save, the bigger the wad of bills u can put in some ones face. You'll be surprised how much people are willing to drop the price of a car with cash in hand. Good Luck

Don99Pablo

Reaction score
My car was from Louisiana, body and underneath were in really good shape. Only big problem was the frame rails up front were rotted from the inside out, pine needles were inside the rail blocking the drain holes. Didn't notice till I had to do front brakes. Take your time to look every car over. The more u save, the bigger the wad of bills u can put in some ones face. You'll be surprised how much people are willing to drop the price of a car with cash in hand. Good Luck

Thanks Goon! There are definitely some rust buckets out there. I am glad I have people to lean on for advice and expertise. I work hard for my money and want to spend it wisely and would rather put more down up front to save in the long run. I know the right one for me will come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back