• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth taking it to the Dyno?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys, my motor is complete. I am considering having it taken to a local engine dyno shop, but wanted to get some opinions first. I think they charge $600 for the service. I did leave them a message to speak directly to them, but generally what does a dyno shop do besides read the HP/TQ numbers? Do they actually "tune" the engine somehow so it's running its best? Don't know much about it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

mcmopar

Reaction score
They have to tune it so that it will run at peak performance - at least the good shops do. They should set the carb up for optimum air/fuel ratio, power valve tuning and jetting, plus spark advance and distributor curve. Where are you taking it?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Sounds good. Place in west palm called Total Engine Concepts.

nicanor

Reaction score
Though I'm sure your engine builder is reputable, its better to dyno tune the engine before its installed in the car. Of course thats my opinion. I had a hard time setting up my 69 Corvette engine in the car and wish I tuned it on an engine stand but I built the engine and installed it at night so I could make the show Saturday. I should have forgot about going to the show. Engine is fine now, the shop tuned it extremely well, but I would have liked to lower the compression.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to call them today and schedule the dyno tune. It's not cheap, but I agree that I'd rather get it 100% before it goes into the Runner. I wonder if I need to have the "bolt-on" parts done before they can run it? Alternator, fan, etc.? Not sure, will ask them.

Thanks again. Stand by for the Dyno results in a few weeks.

Best,

John

Back