• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X - pipe vs. H - pipe

RR383

Reaction score
I don't believe that back in the day these Hi-performance cars would not have needed either of the two configurations. Although...if the technology would have been there our cars might have been outfitted with one or the other system.
You read about and here allot of talk about how they balance/counterbalance the exhaust pulses. Even increasing HP.
I'm still running straight out the back like I'm sure allot of others on this site are doing as well.
Your thoughts......

quikbird

Reaction score
General research and thought is straight pipes then h pipe then x pipe in order of increasing effectiveness. Now the big question is can we tell in the drivers seat a difference???

Ranger

Reaction score
The only reason I have ever considered a crossover (H) is that I was told it will eliminate the drone I get from the Flowmasters at 1800 RPM, but then I think, what if I ever have to drop the trans. I'll probably just deal with the drone.

That said, I'd have to agree with quickbird, and wonder if any gains could be felt by the seat-of-the-pants dyno.

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
Interesting...so this is not new technology. Yeah drone is good.....

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
From Flowmaster's web site FAQ page. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=12583

"Do I need to install an “H” pipe in my dual exhaust system?

Flowmaster® strongly recommends using a crossover tube, otherwise known as an “H” pipe or balance pipe on all true dual exhaust systems. The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pressure and allows the sounds waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Not only does this usually improve torque in the low to mid rpm range, it also creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle and helps eliminate “back-rap” on deceleration."

"Is an “X” pipe better than an “H” pipe?

Flowmaster® has performed extensive testing and determined that the “H” and “X” pipes generally delivers no significant difference in performance, but does affect tone. The “X” pipe will change the sound to a higher pitched tone. Flowmaster Scavenger “X” pipes however do increase power and torque through use of their patented D-port technology and retains the deep Flowmaster muffler tone that is desired by most performance enthusiasts."

As far as drone goes, I had massive drone from my super 44's even with the H pipe. I resolved it by taking a play from the Hemi cars playbook and used resonators at the tail pipes. In fact I used (simply because of preference) Jones 18" x 3" glasspacks on each side. Drone was basically eliminated inside the cab and pushed it all out to the rear where it should be. with no sacrifice in power or torque.

Here is a shot of them. my set up is 2" TTI's ceramic coated to 3" pipe to 3" flowbastard super 44's out to these 3" jones glasspacks to the OE tips. Its pretty calm at idle at a stop but man drop the hammer and holy smokes it's like someone just set of a baby nuke lmao J/K it's cool though. I have a video somewhere if interested I can dig up.

add7f555-a39f-4caa-a395-b58d1e22beca_zpsf215b508_1.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had a '68 Charger R/T 440 4 speed for 18 years. I rebuilt the 440 (to factory specs......) and it had headers on it. the first time i had to change the starter, the headers went away, and factory HP manifolds came on. A few years later I picked up a '69 Charger that still had the factory H pipe. I put it on, and ran it for several years. I didn't notice any difference in any of the combos. The H pipe did help when I pulled the trans, gave the tailshaft a spot to rest.

Back