• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/2" Fuel line /Sending unit

Rocket

Reaction score
1/2" fuel line /Sending unit worth doing. I don't have a 500+hp engine but would it hurt to go in this direction?

I do have a 440 -6 engine pretty much stock with future plans to do a stroker.

moparchris

Reaction score
Rocket said:
1/2" fuel line /Sending unit worth doing. I don't have a 500+hp engine but would it hurt to go in this direction?

I do have a 440 -6 engine pretty much stock with future plans to do a stroker.
I would say no. 5/16 is good to 500 ish with a pusher style pump (electric) and a 3/8 is good 650 with a good pump as well. I have seen over 1000 hp supported on a 1/2 inch line with no problem.

droptop

Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking, but if you are replacing them, why not go with the bigger line? :cents:

Rocket

Reaction score
droptop said:
Not sure what you are asking, but if you are replacing them, why not go with the bigger line? :cents:
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering if it is possible to have too big a fuel line. If it won't hurt anything 1/2" is the direction I'll go. Thanks again!

moparchris

Reaction score
Rocket said:
droptop said:
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering if it is possible to have too big a fuel line. If it won't hurt anything 1/2" is the direction I'll go. Thanks again! :stooges:
It can hurt if the line is too big. For instance, a stock pump will have a hard time moving the column of fuel under acceleration. So if you go with the big line you will need a bigger pump.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Didn't they use the same pump on the 383 and 440? The 383 used a 3/8" line while the 440 used a 1/2" line. All the parts catalogs I have seen show the same pump for 383 and 440 :huh: . The Hemi used a different pump if I remember correctly.

Rocket

Reaction score
Dumb question but did the 69 road runner have a return fuel line? I don't have access to the car right now and can't check. Its funny INLINETUBE.COMS beats yearone even with 30% discount.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Perhaps if the car was slated for California delivery. Their pollution control regulations were far stricter than other states. Of the two I've owned there were no fuel return lines on them - just a single line.

John69RR

Reaction score
The Hemi cars and 440-6 cars used the vapor line. I thought standard fuel linewas 5/16 and 3/8 on the Hemi.

mcmopar

Reaction score
John69RR said:
The Hemi cars and 440-6 cars used the vapor line. I thought standard fuel linewas 5/16 and 3/8 on the Hemi.
Yup - I don't know where my head was! :loco:

droptop

Reaction score
John69RR said:
The Hemi cars and 440-6 cars used the vapor line.......

440 4 barrel cars had the return line as well. My GTX has the big line with a return. :cents:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
1/2" will be much harder to bend and work with and there will be no benefits.

Filters, pumps and the carb will have fittings for 5/16 or 3/8" tube and will have openings that size. Unless you buy the race stuff ($$) any size advantage from the tubing is lost in those restrictions anyway.

Rocket

Reaction score
Big John said:
1/2" will be much harder to bend and work with and there will be no benefits.

Filters, pumps and the carb will have fittings for 5/16 or 3/8" tube and will have openings that size. Unless you buy the race stuff ($$) any size advantage from the tubing is lost in those restrictions anyway.

Thanks guys! With this last statement my mind is made. I will stick with the 3/8" sending unit /fuel line. That said Is there any advantage to the return line? In other words should I do that as well? Sorry to be a pita.

Back