• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1911s

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, who has 1911s in their collection? Been looking at them for a bit now...just have always liked them even before I started carrying or collecting anything. I have been looking at the Springfield Armory Range Officer and Trophy Match. Like both of those. Mrs. ACME has chimed in and casts a vote for the SIG Spartan. The shop I bought my M400 from has one. Very unique and probably will hold its value (only 300 made) fairly well, but at $1,349 its $500 more than the Range Officer...and that is a lot of moolah... Any thoughts???

Unrelated - anyone have 45ACP XDM or XDM Compact?

dobie

Reaction score
Well, Springfield makes great 1911's. Arguably some of the finest really. Their customer service is top notch too, if you ever need it. The only direct knowledge I have of their 1911's is a mil-spec model I bought for my dad back in 2006. He's only put about 200 rounds thru it...if that. He keeps it tucked away in a holster, in a case. About two years ago we went shooting and he brought it with him. I pulled it out and found it to be bone dry. For pure curiosity, I loaded up a couple of mags to see what would happen. To my surprise, it was flawless for all 14 rounds. After the two mags I field stripped it and lubed it up properly. It continued to run just fine. Every one here I'm sure knows that 1911's can be quite "finicky" if you will. His Springfield pleasantly surprised me by running 100%. Now, over the years he has had several failure to feeds. I attribute that to limp writing however, as he is starting to have issues with the recoil the older he gets. I, myself, have never experienced an issue with his 1911.

So, with all that said, I'm a Colt guy. Without any hesitation, I'll strictly only purchase Colt's. Colt 1911's are the industry standard. They have longevity to prove it. Their quality was definitely questioned back in the 80's, although I cannot speak from firsthand knowledge. Today's current production models rival anything made prior to the 80's however. My first 1911 was a Colt 1991A1. A very basic, no frills pistol. I used that gun in my academy and achieved 2nd in our top gun contest. I lost to a guy shooting a Glock 17, with 17+1 rounds on tap. My accuracy was better, but I had an extra reload.

Bear with me....I'm on my phone so I'm gonna split my posts...

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have always liked the 1911 design my favorite is the Kimber 1911. I understand shooting re-loads will cause stove piping.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ray the only XDM I have is a 9mm but my bother and brother in law have them in 45 and like em

dobie

Reaction score
Anyways.....

In the last 2 yrs Ive added a Colt Rail Gun and a LW Commander. Both have been 100% reliable. During the winter months I even carry the Commander, so I have 100% faith in it. I've tested all three of them with various ball and hollow point ammo. The only issue I ever had was with my 91A1. For some reason it wouldn't feed the aluminum cased rounds. The other will feed it though. Strangely enough, all 3 are 100% reliable with steel cased ammo.

In regards to the Sig's, I honestly can't say. I have no direct experience with them. When they were first released, the original GSR series had some issues. To my knowledge though, those issues have been resolved. As much as I love my Sig's, I'll just always be a Colt fan boy. Current Colt XSE's can be found for $1100. More basic models are cheaper, but I prefer the features found on the XSE series.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Ray, I have a Kimber Custom II, which is entry level for a Kimber. Very nice gun though. They come with a lot of features that usually cost extra. ie: extended beaver tail, lowered ejection port, front serrations.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the owner of one of our local shops made me a deal I could not pass up... So I bought two SIG 1911s. Mrs. ACME got the Spartan (she is just nuts about the MOLON LABE - "Come and Take Them" - inscription on the barrel given the situation with the current administration) and I got the black POW/MIA version. They are already packed up and ready to go to the range this morning so I'll post pics later. :cool:

First time that I have bought a firearm since I received my concealed carry permit. I kinda liked being able to just walk out of the store with them instead of having to wait three business days like I have in the past. :banana:

:jester:

dobie

Reaction score
Haha!! That's awesome. you're almost as bad as me now!!!

:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
Haha!! That's awesome. you're almost as bad as me now!!!

:cheers:
There is a term for that, but I have never seen it used in the firearm world :jester:

69rr4406p

Reaction score
I have not been a big 1911 fan because of my big hands. The single stack grips are to narrow. Never found wider grips that look good, until now. I just picked up a 1911 Champion Operator with wood grips that fits perfectin my in hand. I'm going to head to the range in the next week or two and give it a test drive.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we spent four hours at the (new to us) outdoor range today. Had a blast. Nice facility and the ROs were great. Just a lot of weapons to tear down and clean afterwards... :leave:

I had purchased a laser sighting device to help quickly get the M400 sighted in, but it was sunnier than hell and I could barely see the damned thing, making it useless. Oh well. Had a blast with the M400. The last time I fired an AR was when I was in the service and trying to earn a Marksmanship Ribbon - a lot of pressure. This was just good old fashioned fun. Mrs. ACME loved it too...says we need to buy another one for her...I cannot afford her... :toetap:
She had her eye on a SIG556R at the store the other day...but it's probably better to stay with the AR platform...with ammo the way it is today we're probably better off not introducing another ammo variant into the mix...and those use AK-47 ammo...

The new P238 was awsome. We both loved it. I'd love to get one and ditch the Bodyguard... :lol:
Mrs. ACME now wants a P938...like I said...I cannot afford her... :D

The 1911s were great. Not something to carry...but they sure are fun... :yesnod:

Here are pics of the 1911s, and Mrs. ACME firing the M400. Gonna have to buy her a bi-pod with a grip and get her hand off the magazine...

ACME

TLS M400.medium.jpg

1911 POW-MIA.medium.jpg

1911 Spartan.medium.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Looking good Ray!! Congrats on a great day.

Don't worry too much about her form. I usually use a mag well hold myself. I've tried all sorts of vertical fore grips and just don't really like them. By far I prefer using the mag well. I'm just more stable that way.

On thing I really like about the Sig 1911's is that the front strap is checkered right from the factory. They look great!

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Well, we spent four hours at the (new to us) outdoor range today. Had a blast. Nice facility and the ROs were great. Just a lot of weapons to tear down and clean afterwards... :leave:

I had purchased a laser sighting device to help quickly get the M400 sighted in, but it was sunnier than hell and I could barely see the damned thing, making it useless. Oh well. Had a blast with the M400. The last time I fired an AR was when I was in the service and trying to earn a Marksmanship Ribbon - a lot of pressure. This was just good old fashioned fun. Mrs. ACME loved it too...says we need to buy another one for her...I cannot afford her... :toetap:
She had her eye on a SIG556R at the store the other day...but it's probably better to stay with the AR platform...with ammo the way it is today we're probably better off not introducing another ammo variant into the mix...and those use AK-47 ammo...

The new P238 was awsome. We both loved it. I'd love to get one and ditch the Bodyguard... :lol:
Mrs. ACME now wants a P938...like I said...I cannot afford her... :D

The 1911s were great. Not something to carry...but they sure are fun... :yesnod:

Here are pics of the 1911s, and Mrs. ACME firing the M400. Gonna have to buy her a bi-pod with a grip and get her hand off the magazine...

ACME

Ray, let me know if you are serious about getting rid of the Bodyguard. My wife wants one of those...

jays69bird

Reaction score
I have a Springfield Armory G.I. 1911 in .45ACP. I had to send in back to get the feed ramp polished and they bored the barrel due to a feed problem,since then it shoot great,I love it,the look the feel. She did bite me once,had my thumb a little high and the slide got me.There is something to be said for a pistol designed over 100 years ago and it's still the standard for semi auto handguns. :yesnod:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I saw some sweet 1911's at he gun range for sale today. A Colt and a Remington. Expensive, too.
I shot my wife's Ruger SR40 today (she's been too sick to go shooting lately) along with a Glock 27 .40 cal. and my .380. I was having trouble hitting anything today so I switched from right eye to left eye sighting and ripped off a nice 15 round grouping with the SR40. I didn't like the Glock so much. It is a bit wider than the SR40 and so my grip was not as effective as it was on the Ruger. The recoil on the SR40 caught me by surprise. It has quite the kick! Even more than the JA-380 which surprised me since the SR40 is larger. I thought it might be a bit easier to control. If todays' performance was any indication I'll definitely need to get some more trigger time.

Rocket

Reaction score
1911 is by far my favorite handgun. I have owned a few. I still regret selling my Wilson Combat CQB. I currently have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, a tricked out Kimber (gen1)officer's model and a Springfield full size. The Kobra runs like a top and Iove the snake skin stippling. I tried Glocks etc but I am a 1911 guy for sure.

Back