• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968/1969 Hurst Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobie

Reaction score
I'd like to find an original 4 speed Hurst shifter for my RR. I currently have a Competition Plus shifter, but I love the originals so much more!

Thanks!

:cheers:

mcmopar

Reaction score
All you really need is the shift handle. You can keep the shifter mechanism which is bolted to the trans. Mine also has a Competition Plus shifter to which someone installed the original shift handle. I discovered this when I had the trans out during my rebuild. The Competition Plus, IMO, is a lot smoother shifting than the original shifter mechanism.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
All you really need is the shift handle. You can keep the shifter mechanism which is bolted to the trans. Mine also has a Competition Plus shifter to which someone installed the original shift handle. I discovered this when I had the trans out during my rebuild. The Competition Plus, IMO, is a lot smoother shifting than the original shifter mechanism.

By this do you mean that they drilled holes in the base of the shifter stick to allow its installation in the shifter box? I had been contemplating this myself but don't have the correct original stick to compare/evaluate what is required to mate the two.

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Not the best picture, but this demonstrates the correct stick for a non-console '69.

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, I should have mentioned I'm just looking for the handle itself. Here's a picture of what I'm wanting.

Thanks!!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
AcmeA12, that's the one.

Dobie keep in mind that the stick that you want is the slip-in version and the shifter box you have is the bolt-in version - which takes you back to my original question to MC. Do you happen to know if the modification I proposed to merge the two is feasible?

Ray

hotrod98

Reaction score
I believe that I have that shifter. It's still bolted to the tranny. I'll try to get some pics today.

I took a 70 style pistol grip shiter handle to a machine shop several years ago and they drilled it out for me. That handle was too hard for my drill bits. I have no idea how they did it. Never asked them, but I know that it can be done.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, honestly I was under the impression that the Comp. Plus box and the original style shifter would work together with no problems or modifications. I know my uncle has this set-up in his '68RR.

mcmopar

Reaction score
It is possible that the handle was drilled at the base because the mounting bolts are slightly different sizes. The shifter itself has HURST COMPETITION PLUS stamped on the side with some other info and the correct handle is bolted to it with 2 bolts. It is possible these holes were drilled as the stock shifter used a slide in mounting arrangement which held the shifter handle with a locking tab.

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. According to him, his set up was installed years ago.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Dobie, send me the shifter and handle and I'll put it together for you and send her back for $0.........or just drive it over and we'll throw it on a mill and take care of it. I'm sure you can find someone closer though. :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the wonderful offer!! Now I just gotta find an old handle!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'll trade ya mine for a Pistol Grip, and I'm alot closer........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back