• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1968 J Code Hemi Road Runner for sale in SW Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
  • 1968 Plymouth Road Runner 2 door pillar coupe,
    For sale on Hemmings.com or classiccars.com if you want to see more pictures as we are limited to 10 here.
    Mint condition restored piece of automotive history - first year for Plymouth Road Runner.
    Have owned car about 3.5 years.
    Prior owner is credited with restoration.
    Have copies of all owner titles from original including Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) from Chrysler to Interstate Motors in Bristol TN
    Car built 11/06/1967 in Chrysler St Louis plant ("G" code in VIN)
    Delivered to first buyer in Bristol TN on November 13, 1967
    Love driving it to shows and around the area. Early 1968 production model built before Decor package and hardtop were offered
    426 Hemi engine with dual 4 bbl intake ("J" code in VIN)
    727 Automatic Transmission
    Dana 60 rear with 4.11 limited slip gear
    Manual Steering
    Manual brakes converted to early 1970's MOPAR disk brakes which work like a modern car that has power assist. I have the brake drums to pass to buyer if desired to return to factory spec
    Gauges work including factory installed tach, ammeter, and temperature
    Almost New Firestone reproduction red line bias ply G70-15 tires; only a few hundred miles on them since I purchased and had them installed.
    Correct Hemi Wheels
    Carbs are correct for this car
    Underside detailed and painted to match exterior color
    Rare Ember gold (JJ1) repainted to perfection in original color
    Interior has correct basic "Belvedere" interior (only style available until Decor package came out mid year)
    Bumpers are show quality
    Trim is not pitted
    Glass is excellent
    Factory correct hood "black out" trim - great against the gold background
    "Meep Meep" horn correct for 1968 Road Runner
    Car starts easily
    New battery September 2021
    Radio looks factory correct but has been retrofitted with FM capability for listening flexibility on the road
    Fender tag "sequence number" in lower right corner matches the stamping on radiator support and under passenger side lip of trunk rail
    Only a few more than 1000 Hemi Road Runners built in first year. This might be one of the best examples left out there
    Comes with 1968 Plymouth Hemi owners manual
    Kept in climate controlled storage mancave between trips to car shows
    Great conversation piece at shows where people tell about their own, family, or friends models they acquired after returning from Vietnam
    This is a collector car. It is not a toy or a fixer upper.
    Sold with clear Florida title
    Serious inquiries only

Thank you for considering purchase of my car. I want to add clarification applicable for 1968 Fender tag, stamping locations and VIN. I have the car for sale on eBay auction as well as here. I was asked about the fairly close numbers between the closeness of the partial VIN (sequence) and the invoice number (shown on MSO). I know the numbers can look confusing but here is the explanation I gave the potential bidder.

Partial VIN (156648) did not show up on the fender data plate until 1969 MOPAR products. The "invoice" number (154648) is what shows on fender tag lower right corner, radiator shroud and inside trunk lip. The MSO has both the full VIN and the invoice number next to each other. The numbers are close together by being only 2000 apart. I recently verified another similar early model year car for sale (built about one month after mine) and their VIN / invoice number were close but not same. I have never seen an invoice and VIN being the same. The applicable numbers for the later built car were logically larger than mine as it was built about one month later.

For my car, the invoice number should be on the Trunk lip (154648), the fender data tag (154648), the MSO (upper portion listed as invoice #), and radiator support (154648). Numbers can play tricks with your eyes but think they all match. The VIN (156648) is only on the MSO (to the left of the invoice #), title and dash pad.

Thank you again.

• Price: $95,900 Negotiable

front seat with driver door open 16787-1512168278-81-73.134.112.124.JPG

dash view through steering wheel IMG_2642_zpsg0t7j3tr.jpg

trunk floor under mat 16787-1512168335-74-73.134.112.124.JPG

trunk showing mat and spare time 16787-1512168300-23-73.134.112.124.JPG

car from front and above with blacked out hood IMG_2636_zps2bwz7ee6 (2).jpg

more of right side from front Roadrunner2-1-2018 052 resized .JPG

left side IMG_20180121_140632140_HDR.jpg

Engine with carbs showing 16787-1512168194-25-73.134.112.124.JPG

carb stamping 16787-1512168200-80-73.134.112.124.JPG

engine compartment 20210624_185135.jpg

IT'S DYNAMITE

Reaction score
7 Norridgewock Ave. Skowhegan Maine 04976
  • 1968 Plymouth Road Runner 2 door pillar coupe,
    For sale on Hemmings.com or classiccars.com if you want to see more pictures as we are limited to 10 here.
    Mint condition restored piece of automotive history - first year for Plymouth Road Runner.
    Have owned car about 3.5 years.
    Prior owner is credited with restoration.
    Have copies of all owner titles from original including Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) from Chrysler to Interstate Motors in Bristol TN
    Car built 11/06/1967 in Chrysler St Louis plant ("G" code in VIN)
    Delivered to first buyer in Bristol TN on November 13, 1967
    Love driving it to shows and around the area. Early 1968 production model built before Decor package and hardtop were offered
    426 Hemi engine with dual 4 bbl intake ("J" code in VIN)
    727 Automatic Transmission
    Dana 60 rear with 4.11 limited slip gear
    Manual Steering
    Manual brakes converted to early 1970's MOPAR disk brakes which work like a modern car that has power assist. I have the brake drums to pass to buyer if desired to return to factory spec
    Gauges work including factory installed tach, ammeter, and temperature
    Almost New Firestone reproduction red line bias ply G70-15 tires; only a few hundred miles on them since I purchased and had them installed.
    Correct Hemi Wheels
    Carbs are correct for this car
    Underside detailed and painted to match exterior color
    Rare Ember gold (JJ1) repainted to perfection in original color
    Interior has correct basic "Belvedere" interior (only style available until Decor package came out mid year)
    Bumpers are show quality
    Trim is not pitted
    Glass is excellent
    Factory correct hood "black out" trim - great against the gold background
    "Meep Meep" horn correct for 1968 Road Runner
    Car starts easily
    New battery September 2021
    Radio looks factory correct but has been retrofitted with FM capability for listening flexibility on the road
    Fender tag "sequence number" in lower right corner matches the stamping on radiator support and under passenger side lip of trunk rail
    Only a few more than 1000 Hemi Road Runners built in first year. This might be one of the best examples left out there
    Comes with 1968 Plymouth Hemi owners manual
    Kept in climate controlled storage mancave between trips to car shows
    Great conversation piece at shows where people tell about their own, family, or friends models they acquired after returning from Vietnam
    This is a collector car. It is not a toy or a fixer upper.
    Sold with clear Florida title
    Serious inquiries only

Thank you for considering purchase of my car. I want to add clarification applicable for 1968 Fender tag, stamping locations and VIN. I have the car for sale on eBay auction as well as here. I was asked about the fairly close numbers between the closeness of the partial VIN (sequence) and the invoice number (shown on MSO). I know the numbers can look confusing but here is the explanation I gave the potential bidder.

Partial VIN (156648) did not show up on the fender data plate until 1969 MOPAR products. The "invoice" number (154648) is what shows on fender tag lower right corner, radiator shroud and inside trunk lip. The MSO has both the full VIN and the invoice number next to each other. The numbers are close together by being only 2000 apart. I recently verified another similar early model year car for sale (built about one month after mine) and their VIN / invoice number were close but not same. I have never seen an invoice and VIN being the same. The applicable numbers for the later built car were logically larger than mine as it was built about one month later.

For my car, the invoice number should be on the Trunk lip (154648), the fender data tag (154648), the MSO (upper portion listed as invoice #), and radiator support (154648). Numbers can play tricks with your eyes but think they all match. The VIN (156648) is only on the MSO (to the left of the invoice #), title and dash pad.

Thank you again.

• Price: $95,900 Negotiable

View attachment 35046

View attachment 35047

View attachment 35048

View attachment 35049

View attachment 35050

View attachment 35052

View attachment 35053

View attachment 35054

View attachment 35055

View attachment 35056
Is this Hemi car still for sale?

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Yes my car is still for sale. It is scheduled to go across auction block at premier auction in punta gorda early December. If you or anyone you know is interested to buy it before the auction please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you for your interest and inquiry

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Is that the original miles ...2734? Would you prefer to talk price privately?
Good morning. Thank you for the compliment. I do love the Road Runner as my grandfather was a Chrysler dealer in small town up north when I was growing up around this era of cars. The only reason I want to sell the car is because I have too many and the 1968 El Camino SS396 I purchased earlier this year is equally fun, has factory AC, PS, PB, etc which are desirable here in hot weather of Florida. Plus I can own several SS396 over time for the amount of money the Hemi Road Runner is worth.

To answer your questions, the mileage is listed as exempt on the title as I recall as is the case for many old cars. The miles are now over 13,000 on the 5 digit odometer because I drive it to local shows, etc. The odometer has gone around. The car is restored and is not represented as original, unrestored condition. Because we have copies of all title for each owner since new, including the MSO from Chrysler to Interstate Motors for original sale in November 1967, we can see what the miles were at each time it was transferred.

Talking price or answering any specific questions is best done privately so you are not giving away any of your secrets to others who might want to outbid you. You can reach me privately at 68hemiroadrunner4u@gmail.com or cell phone 9417690723.

I see your location is in Maine. We are in SW FL and you are in NE US. Thank you again for your interest in my car.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I feel that I should pass for now but I will follow the sale on The Punta Gorda Auction.
Thank you for your interest. Maybe you will decide to purchase my car if it does not sell at the auction in early 2022 after the obligatory 30 day period after auction liability for seller fee expires. Owning this show car was a new experience for us. We had primarily large collectables before. Our first classic car was a highly restored 1961 Chrysler 300 G we purchased from a collector / dealer in Chardon Oh in 2001. It was a national show winner before and during our ownership. I know we should have kept it but it was a bit intimidating and many people did not understand its heritage. We also had a 1968 Chrysler 300 convertible (purchased spring 2004 and sold early this year) and two middle 70's Cadillac cars (purchased spring 2005 and sold in 2020 to make way for 1978 Corvette Special Edition Indy Pace Car). The Road Runner has been a pleasure to own but I would like to find someone who can make sure it stays as good as it is now for many years to come. Best wishes. Have a great remainder of the year. Feel free to contact us later if you have questions.

chryslerfan

Reaction score
why would it not ? what do you say it's value is ?
Thank you V.R.D. Mr4 speed might ultimately be right but the market is strange. The price is negotiable so maybe it will sell for less than the current advertised price. I am hopeful at this point that two or more people might want it at the upcoming auction in Punta Gorda causing its real value to be increased. I had the car appraised recently for $110,000 by an experienced local consultant who went through the car. I always appreciate opinions good and bad. Many dealers are asking far more for cars I would not walk across the street to own but this is a special car for the right person. Obviously it is best to see the car to know how nice it really is. None of them are ever perfect but it is close. I fall back on having copies of all titles of ownership since new including MSO from Chrysler to dealer in Bristol TN (Interstate Motors) to be an invaluable addition to the heritage of this car. Not very many of these cars have a copy of their MSO to show. Also, rare color and being an early model car (pillar coupe), it may be one of one of that color. I saw one in that color a few years ago when I was looking for one of these that had been for sale elsewhere (Texas and NJ). It had the décor package so was different than this car. Best wishes to all of you. Naturally not everyone wants to own this Road Runner but someone will find a place in their collection to take home a "rare bird".

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
Thank you V.R.D. Mr4 speed might ultimately be right but the market is strange. The price is negotiable so maybe it will sell for less than the current advertised price. I am hopeful at this point that two or more people might want it at the upcoming auction in Punta Gorda causing its real value to be increased. I had the car appraised recently for $110,000 by an experienced local consultant who went through the car. I always appreciate opinions good and bad. Many dealers are asking far more for cars I would not walk across the street to own but this is a special car for the right person. Obviously it is best to see the car to know how nice it really is. None of them are ever perfect but it is close. I fall back on having copies of all titles of ownership since new including MSO from Chrysler to dealer in Bristol TN (Interstate Motors) to be an invaluable addition to the heritage of this car. Not very many of these cars have a copy of their MSO to show. Also, rare color and being an early model car (pillar coupe), it may be one of one of that color. I saw one in that color a few years ago when I was looking for one of these that had been for sale elsewhere (Texas and NJ). It had the décor package so was different than this car. Best wishes to all of you. Naturally not everyone wants to own this Road Runner but someone will find a place in their collection to take home a "rare bird".
thank you i like the car it is what starter the craze for mopar muscle that was cool car fad with a personality all it's own . i my self thought it was in the ball park myself. but i wanted to know what he thought. with the paper trail adds to the car alot. good luck sir

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got to start some where when sell the car. Mark it up and hope you get it. The seller market is strange at time's. I see it depends on the market at the time things are sold. Grate looking car and a good paper trail with it should help. I found a charger 1969 fully restored with restored 440 motor Automatic car. 60 thou. And that is not out of the question either. Wish you the best of luck with the sell and you get what you are asking. :thumbsup:

chryslerfan

Reaction score
thank you I bought it for its history of the first year for Road Runner and Plymouth muscle cars
thank you i like the car it is what starter the craze for mopar muscle that was cool car fad with a personality all it's own . i my self thought it was in the ball park myself. but i wanted to know what he thought. with the paper trail adds to the car alot. good luck sir

chryslerfan

Reaction score
Got to start some where when sell the car. Mark it up and hope you get it. The seller market is strange at time's. I see it depends on the market at the time things are sold. Grate looking car and a good paper trail with it should help. I found a charger 1969 fully restored with restored 440 motor Automatic car. 60 thou. And that is not out of the question either. Wish you the best of luck with the sell and you get what you are asking. :thumbsup:
Thank you my MOPAR friend.

mr4speed

Reaction score
nothing personal but this is what the hobby is coming to between the auction houses and people with lots of money the little people don't have a chance ! just my opinion.

kariverson

Reaction score
nothing personal but this is what the hobby is coming to between the auction houses and people with lots of money the little people don't have a chance ! just my opinion.
It is what it is in my opinion. Classic Collectible stuff is it cars or anything like that will always be gaining value. Do I hate the fact that I am too young and overseas and didn't have the chance to get one on the cheap decades ago? Sure, but I gotta make do and find a fixer upper or one in need of restoration :)

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about if we keep the opinion chatter and comments to a minimum? THIS IS A FOR SALE THREAD. It's like some of you have NO IDEA how these forums are supposed to work. If you want to discuss market trends and current car values then go start a new thread in the general forum - don't do it in this gentleman's for sale ad. Show a little consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back