• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 RR Front Manual Disc Brake Conversion

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
I need to reach out to some professionals out there on this one: I have 4 wheel manual drum brakes and am converting to manual front disc. I have purchased a POL front disc conversion kit and a Summit PV-2 Proportioning valve to do this job. Mancini tech tells me to see how the brakes feel with the existing master cylinder before buying a larger one, others tell me to replace with a larger one at install......Any thoughts from anyone that has done this type of conversion? I have included a pic of the existing master.

Thanks

JR

IMG_1644.jpg

quikbird

Reaction score
Ask brake co if they recommend differently sized mc due to different pressure requirements between disc and drum. My set was from ssbc and came with new mc.

tallhair

Reaction score
Concur with quikbird or maybe give Dr Diff a call ... he'll steer you straight. I'd think it wise to go with a DB MC myself but I'm no expert.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There are guys that run it, but IMHO, there's not enough volume there. If the level went down at all, you might have a serious problem. I'd change it.

Coyote

Reaction score
There are guys that run it, but IMHO, there's not enough volume there. If the level went down at all, you might have a serious problem. I'd change it.

That's scary! Change it! MC's aren't that expensive. I went with a complete kit from right stuff (front only), and added a line loc. after FRIGHTENING drum issues. My drums were supposed to have been totally done before I bought car in '09. Took it on Drag Week, first pass in Muncie applied brakes firmly (not a panic) to hit first turn off, right front fractured a shoe retaining nail. When I got back I didn't even try to figure out what was wrong, couldn't replace them with discs soon enough!

rollie

Reaction score
I did the conversion from manual drum brakes to manual disc brakes on the front. SSBC has a kit designed especially to do this. Bolts on the original spindles. Easy to install. Disk brake pads are easy to get when replacement required. Kit includes a new MC. Works great.

Back