• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 bird gas gauge

barf75

Reaction score
Orginally had a 383 but changed to 440 before I purchased car. I fill up car with gas and the gauge only reads 1/2 full. As I drive it goes down normally. I am nervous because never sure how much gas I have. Comments are very welcome. Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Probably has a replacement sending unit. None of them work right but they can be adjusted some what, pull the unit and with an ohm meter see if it can be bent to work. Several threads on here about it.

quikbird

Reaction score
I have recently seen a article on a small device that can be used to correct the reading on the gauge to accurate. whether it actually works or not I do not know.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Not yet. Maybe later today.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
You're talking about MeterMatch. http://technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html I put one in my car and it does work. You splice the wire from the sending unit to the gauge into the device along with a wire for power and ground. You then move the sending unit to the full, mid, and empty points and set the meter for those , or any other points you want. It's all spelled out in the directions. As I said, it does work pretty well. It may not be exactly perfect, but is close enough that you have a good idea of how much gas is in the tank. Again, now accurate it is depends on how fussy you get setting those set points. I set mine with the unit still in the tank because I was by my self. I'm sure you could be more accurate if you pull the unit out and set it with a helper.

Back