• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969.no power at all

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I believe a wire from the Solenoid has to run back to the ignition switch "on" position for it to run. If it won't start or turn over the Solenoid might be the culprit, or wiring connection to it. They are cheap enough.
It has a new one. Thanks.

IMG_20210714_191454790.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So Russ. have you tracked down the problem. Just out of thinking have you checked the ignition switch out of every thing Or have you gone to the bulk head connector and checked all connection's. Sorry for the bad luck. Hope your getting close to having it fixed. Had my old start run relay quit. Figured I had replaced every thing else on this car and had a new one in the box. Took a jumper wire and jumped the relay. The car started so put the new on and no more problem's.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
So Russ. have you tracked down the problem. Just out of thinking have you checked the ignition switch out of every thing Or have you gone to the bulk head connector and checked all connection's. Sorry for the bad luck. Hope your getting close to having it fixed. Had my old start run relay quit. Figured I had replaced every thing else on this car and had a new one in the box. Took a jumper wire and jumped the relay. The car started so put the new on and no more problem's.
No I have been busy at work and with the race car. I ordered all new parts but maybe tomorrow evening I'm gonna get back on it. Ordered a new engine bay wiring harness from Year One that's on backorder. I will have it going Saturday one way or another. I'm gonna re-wire this thing over the winter.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
New wiring will make a difference. If it original wiring then it is tired and brittle. Bet it has been hacked up over the years. Make good connection's as you go. Yes year one is slow. Wish you the best. Once you apply all new part's it is easy to decide what might be the problem. :thumbsup:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
It's been a few days. Working and racing. I received the emc from year one finally. The ecm I have is blue and the one I received is orange. I'm not getting any fire to the plugs. I haven't installed the new ecm box yet and I've been looking at the coil. Can a cool just go out and then work later? I have checked all grounds.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Usually a intermittent coil acts up after it gets hot. The windings separate or open. The blue box will operate at a higher RPM range than the orange one. I would suspect the ECM. I would patch that in first with a good ground. I had one that would work for days then just quit. I chased my tail with the wiring and grounds for weeks and it was the orange box. Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Usually a intermittent coil acts up after it gets hot. The windings separate. The blue box will operate at a higher RPM range than the orange one. I would suspect the ECM. I would patch that in first with a good ground. I had one that would work for days then just quit. I chased my tail with the wiring and grounds for weeks and it was the orange box. Hope it works for you.

Thanks Terry I will check this evening.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Cranked my car with the old coil. Then it would not run. Bought a new Ede brock coil it work and oil started to leak at the coil out put to distributor. Took it back that one worked for a while and did the same. So took it back and got an MSD coil all is fine now. Coil may work when not hot but after getting hot they short out inside.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I had that problem on my truck. The 12V feeding the coil was shorting to the firewall. Mine spewed oil everywhere. Wow two defective coils in a row. The MSD is a much better coil but I would still check the 12V going to the + side. Maybe the VR is killing them.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Some coils are not designed to lay sideways and cool. Chevy and Ford and AMC stood them up for a reason.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Grate looking power plant and the engine bay looks good also. See you take care of your baby. Yes the auto part's stores just push parts and type on the computer. Take your money and say see you latter. Have had problem's with cheap coils on several application's in the past. Even ones mounted vertical quit working. Cheap junk. Hope you got it figured out now. No we get frustrated when thing's where working then out of the blue it goes south.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Finally gonna check mine out tonight. Work has about killed me. I have a Christmas parade Saturday. I did buy a new coil and it did not change anything. I did change the brake light switch last night and 6-2, 235 is a hard fit upside down doing that. Should have taken the front seat out, lol.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Replaced the box. One I had was the blue box and I installed a Orange one. Runs good now. I guess I need to order another box to put back. I would almost switch over to a MSD 6AL and there would be no problem in the future (i actually have one from old race car in the shop). I just hate it changing the look from being stock under the hood.

Back