• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roadrunner: My first project

fowens

Reaction score
My project is a 1969 Roadrunner with a 383. It's an automatic with front bench seats. The original color is the Seafoam Q5. The car sat in outside storage for more than a decade. This was my father's car and I inherited it after his death. My wife and I built a house this year (Summer 2013) and I finally have some space for it and have started working on it slowly as I learn.

I am new to cars as a whole. I unfortunately know close to nothing. But, have a lot of resources at my disposal. Hoping you guys can help as well.

I know this is a huge challenge. But, one that I'm pretty excited for.

IMG_20130706_123411.jpg

IMG_20130706_133134.jpg

IMG_20130706_134107.jpg

If you guys have any suggestions on where to start, let me know. I'm open for any and ALL suggestions.

IMG_20130706_123411.jpg

IMG_20130706_133134.jpg

IMG_20130706_134107.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
agreed. what kind of shape is the car mechanically? Does the engine run? If so, I'd go thru the brakes,replace the hard and rubber lines, master and wheel cylinders. Since it's been sitting, probably need to check the gas tank for rust inside, and replace the fuel line. Give the car a tune up, and enjoy it for a while, and save $$ for the resto. one thing that kills projects faster than anything is tearing the car apart and getting overwhelmed.Next thing you know the car has been apart for 20 years. Judging by how good the body looks after sitting outside for 10 years, I'm guessing your not back east in the rust belt.I'd make a list of what the car needs, what you want to do with it, then check on parts and prices. These cars casn get pricey, but to an extent only as pricey as you want, and you don't have to do the whole car at once. that's one reason I say drive and enjoy the car for a while.
Lots of great guys here, and plenty of know how. Don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions.
got any more pics?:D

cj69RR

Reaction score
Enjoy it and if you can get it driveable enjoy it and make it a lot of small projects but still be able to drive it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
My dad bought his '69 road runner back in 1970. It was Q5 and I loved that color. Take your time and fix 'er up right. Looks like a nice project.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Ditto what Dave and George said, no need to tear the runner apart. I would definitely start with the brakes first.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Well said All! Speaking from experience, I have two apart and driving a neon! If you can enjoy it... Do it! But keep safety in mind! Looks neat and welcome to one of the coolest websites on the web!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and another thing about driving it the way the body is now....you can have fun with it and not worry about scratches or getting it dirty.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'll take one of the Cragars...need one for a spare...:jester:

69383RR

Reaction score
Like the others said drive it if you can ,that way you can find some of the bugs hiding in the dark places . Because of my inexperience I starting tearing my car apart the day after I got it , granted it was in the middle of winter and couldn't really drive it anyway but I didn't even check to see if all the gages worked , dumb right !
We thought we were nearing the end of the build and ready for paint , then discovered a bad bearing on the output shaft of the transmission . If I would have driven the car a bit I would have discovered that problem early on instead of at the end, real bummer man !

4spd69RR

Reaction score
You could have bought your runner in this condition and wanted to restore it like I did!!

Old Road Runner.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Freebird.jpgI think I can top that one. had fun while it lasted RIP

Freebird.jpg

Back