• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roadrunner

John Stover

Reaction score
Hi. My name is John and I'm new to your site. I have a 1969 383 4-sp Roadrunner. The hood that is on the car is the 1968 version with the 383 inlaid on the side of the two scoops on the hood. The 1969 hood version has the mesh type finish on the top. I've just purchased a 440 engine block and am going to rebuild it and put it in place of the 383. I'm not planning on the six pack....just a 4 barrel holly. My question is what to do with the hood. Does anyone know if the 68' hood can pop off the two inserts and pop on the 69' inserts? Or is the 69 hood different? What suggestions might you have on what hood to go with knowing the engine block will be a 440. I really don't want a pop-off fiberglass scooped hood. Any suggestions?

Thanks, John

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the nest, John. We are always looking for pictures, so post some when you can!

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome John, The '68 hood will accept the '69 inserts if you do a little bit of cutting with a dremel. You will need to cut out 3 one inch squares for the mounting hardware that holds in the screen/block off plates on the '69 inserts. This will be totally hidden once the inserts are in place. If you have the '69 inserts, it will be very clear where to cut once you set them on the '68 hood.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hi John, welcome to the nest.
Your stock hood will be just fine with the 440 depending on which intake/air cleaner assembly you choose to run. You have to keep in mind that the 440 is 3/4" taller than the 383 so this can limit your intake choice as there is less vertical clearance than with a 383.
I have a 383 with the Edlebrock Performer RPM and have to use a drop base air cleaner assembly for under hood clearance. If I were running a 440 I would not have hood clearance with this combo. A good intake is the Holley Street Master single plane. It sits low yet is one of the most efficient and powerful intakes for the RB engine. Also good news is the fact that it can be had very reasonably - in the $80-$120 range in good used condition.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
first off, welcome!! second, if a GTX can handle a 440 with a stock hood then so can a road runner. it is just a matter of getting the right combination of components used on the 440 (right intake choice and air filter base) and it will fit. also a side note, 4 spds rule!! :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
droptop said:
Welcome John, The '68 hood will accept the '69 inserts if you do a little bit of cutting with a dremel. You will need to cut out 3 one inch squares for the mounting hardware that holds in the screen/block off plates on the '69 inserts. This will be totally hidden once the inserts are in place. If you have the '69 inserts, it will be very clear where to cut once you set them on the '68 hood.

Excatly. I had to do this with one of my cars.
Welcome John. We need Pics!! Don't be a stranger, drop in often :cheers:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Welcome John! :cheers:

Back