• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 RR Steering Wheel

w8kbrder

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the roadrunner family...doing some research as I'm interested in picking up a '69. My question it this: Did the 1969 Roadrunner only come with one type of steering wheel, or were there more than one? I see a lot with the tri-style center steering wheel with the chrome half circle. But I've seen a few with a more simple wheel. Any insight to this? Could a different steering wheel be a sign that someone cloned a satellite into a RR? I just want to make sure I know I'm getting the real deal.

thanks!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
databook032.jpg

Can't say I've seen the version with the full ring in a Roadrunner, but I have seen the other three.

But!!! Don't just use the steering wheel as the way to tell what you have.

Identifying a Roadrunner starts out by looking at the VIN. It should start with "RM" the third and fourth numbers will be 21 for a coupe (post with swing out rear window), 23 for a hardtop (roll down rear windows) and 27 for a convertible. Fifth number is the real telltale. "H" is the 383 Roadruner engine. "J" is the Hemi and "M" is the 440 6 barrel.

The VIN plate on the dash should match the fender tag on the left fenderwell under the hood. Then it should match two other spots. On the radiator support, the last eight digits of the VIN should be stamped on either the top or just down from the top facing the engine. Under the trunk seal, on the left side, just back from the hinge is another spot where it's stamped.

Put these all together and you have a real Roadrunner. If you're not sure, report back and we'll help you figure it out.

w8kbrder

Reaction score
Wow thank you so much for that helpful information. I have a '69 Dodge Charger so i'm pretty familiar with finding the stamped vin numbers. But I've always been a huge fan of the '69 Roadrunner so I'm ready to get my feet wet. :) The RR I am considering is an RM21 car....so its a coupe with the pillar. I'm trying my best to really get the facts straight on knowing the difference between a true Roadrunner and a cloned version. Seems to be a lot of sneaky people out there trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Next big questions:

1.) Did the Roadrunner ever have a "G" code 383 or were they only equipped with the "H" code?

2.) Were any Roadrunners equipped with a Dana 60 other than the Hemi version?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
w8kbrder said:
Wow thank you so much for that helpful information. I have a '69 Dodge Charger so i'm pretty familiar with finding the stamped vin numbers. But I've always been a huge fan of the '69 Roadrunner so I'm ready to get my feet wet. :) The RR I am considering is an RM21 car....so its a coupe with the pillar. I'm trying my best to really get the facts straight on knowing the difference between a true Roadrunner and a cloned version. Seems to be a lot of sneaky people out there trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Next big questions:

1.) Did the Roadrunner ever have a "G" code 383 or were they only equipped with the "H" code?

2.) Were any Roadrunners equipped with a Dana 60 other than the Hemi version?
1) Always an "H" code.(2) Hemi 4 spd and 440 6BBL 4 spd were supposed to have Dana 60s

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site! good luck finding a runner. post up some pics of the Charger

w8kbrder

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
welcome to the site! good luck finding a runner. post up some pics of the Charger

Here ya go. My driver is a '69 Charger G-code. My long term project is a '69 R/T SE numbers matching.

IMAG3567_zps3f96e0f1.jpg

IMAG3561.jpg

IMAG2074.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
awsome! Love the chargers. I had a '68 R/T for 18 years.

Charger.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Very nice Chargers! I see in your other post that you're 33 yrs old..... Nice to have another "young guy" around, as Im 34 myself.

:devil:

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
awsome! Love the chargers. I had a '68 R/T for 18 years.

Dang Dave, that's beautiful. I love my 68 RR's, but a VERY close second for my all time favorite is a 68 Charger.

:cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
Welcome to the site. Very nice Chargers! I see in your other post that you're 33 yrs old..... Nice to have another "young guy" around, as Im 34 myself.

I think it's great to have younger guys like you two that are into these cars. If the guys like you can get more guys in your age group interested in these cars then we can be sure that our favorite cars will be on the road for a long time to come!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
I like Chargers, too. As long as the're not orange with a big 01 on the door. :leave:
:yeathat: You got that right Harold! they're getting like Model A's, you seen one you've seen them all!! :yesnod:

jays69bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
dobie said:

I think it's great to have younger guys like you two that are into these cars. If the guys like you can get more guys in your age group interested in these cars then we can be sure that our favorite cars will be on the road for a long time to come!
This is the key to our cars being around long after we are...I have my dad's 36 Terraplane ( made by Hudson) but to be blunt other than me who grew up with them you don't too many guys in there mid 40's who are into 30's cars ( unless they are a street rod). That's why you see mint Model A roadsters going for say 15000 dollars now,because the guys who loved and cherished these cars are gone. I would hate to see a fate like that befall our Roadrunners.

Back