• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 runner with 383 motor

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Guy's. Got my motor running. But won't ideal. It shake's at low speed like it is out of time. It back fire's through the carb then stop's running. Any Idea. New fuel pump New float's in my old deamon after rebuild. It help's to have some one to bounce idea's off. Or check with other people having the same prob. Thank you Russ69Runner

Ranger

Reaction score
A more definitive title would be nice.

That said, have you checked valve timing? Backfiring through carb indicates (to me at least) an open valve at the wrong time.
Have you considered or checked for a burnt valve?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Ranger. Haven't gotten that far yet. Rebuilt my BG deamon. Still thinking that some thing is wrong with it. My buddy said to buy a new one. No number's on carb. Look's like a 650 cfm but not sure. Dose any body know what is the best four barrel to put on this 383 motor. Well going to snatch it off and look at the setting's. Check the gasket between the carb and intake. One internet search told me to see if their are slots in my gasket that could be problem or just a bad carb. Well thank's for info it is appreciated. Want to pull it into barn on it own power. Well got to run See Ya. Oh any other idea's also appreciated Russ69Runner

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First guess would be timing and or carb. 650 is plenty for a stock 383 pick a carb that adapts to the linkage, air cleaner and transmission the best if its an automatic. Or have a pro go threw the Demon.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Ranger. Got the beast to run long enough to set the timing by ear. Doing better looked for timing plate but it's gone so ordered one. It will bolt on to the timing cover bolt's. I see on other web site's it bolts down under the alternator side is that right. But this motor feel's like it might have a little hotter cam in it. Well got to run thank you for your info.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
69hemibeep what's up well just wanted to thank you for your input. Got the beast running long enough by holding on to the throttle loosened the distributor bolt and move it till it smoothed off. Set it by ear. Looked for timing plate it's gone don't figure every thing else is on this car. It act's like it might have a little hotter cam in her but waiting till I can get a timing light on it My buddy say that the distributor might be a tooth off. I rebuilt the carb my self. Use to do this for 25 buck's back in the 70's if they supplied the kit's most where double pumper's thank to this one it is only a single pretty simple didn't look to be bad in side. Had bad float's those stupid nitrophyl float's. Well moveing on to the next problem. Like I said forgotten a lot over the year's all help is appreciated.

quikbird

Reaction score
Russ, you should be at about 34-36 degrees ahead at about 3000 rpm. That seems to be the norm for most of these engines.

Ranger

Reaction score
I agree with Beep. A 650 should do you. That said, mine has an Edelbrock 750 on it (cam that way), but it also had a much wilder cam when I bought it.

I set my total timing at 34 and that put the initial at 12.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey any one have pick's of the timing plate on a 383. Mine is gone and have a replacement ordered should be here any time. Well if so would appreciate it don't know if we can post pictures on this site hope so. Also looking for plug wire routing mine are all over the place and want to put them right well thanks.

Back