• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969beepbeep Intro

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
I am 50 years old and my passion for Roadrunners started when I was 5 years old and the next door neighbor (Plymouth car salesmen) brought home for one day a red '68. Back then I loved watching the Roadrunner on TV and seeing that car for the first time had a huge impact on me. I have owned my sunfire yellow 1969 convertible since 1992 and have not driven it since 1999. I have been working alone to restore it for the last 10 years and just recently finished painting it. The car is still not put together but it is yellow. For the last 5 years I have been renting a small shop to continue working on the car because my neighbors filed an official complaint and the police came knocking. It is my first restoration and I had no idea in the beginning how much hard work it would take. I have experienced some very disappointing moments during the restoration, like casually removing the convertible trim around top opening and finding that the metal was completely rusted out, to memorable mo

69383RR

Reaction score
Welcome from Vt , ten years is a long time . Its time to put her back together and get her done , think of all that rent money you'll be saving :jester: and don't forget to post some pictures .

Last edited:

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Does anybody have a good method of sealing the convertible trim that runs around perimeter of top opening? I found a significant amount of rust under the trim and do not want that to happen again. Where is a good place to get stickers? I bought some from Yearone and pieces came off the sticker when I pulled off the wax paper. My side glass on all four windows has come out of its metal channel and I am wondering how to install the glass back in the channel. Does anybody know about quality of '69 grilles being offered by Mopar Performance, P/N P5153416? I have had one on order for over three weeks and the delivery date keeps slipping. I sure would appreciate some help.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome from Ohio. gotta love neighbors....post up some pics of your project.
courious about the new grills too, but that ain't gonna happen until the new paint goes on.

droptop

Reaction score
........ Does anybody have a good method of sealing the convertible trim that runs around perimeter of top opening? I found a significant amount of rust under the trim and do not want that to happen again........

Convertibles are notorious for this. The best thing to do is keep it dry. If you should happen to get caught in the rain, make sure you dry it out completely by using fans or compressed air to get all the water out of the ledge. when you wash your car, don't run water over the top. Just wipe the top off with a damp rag.:cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Convertibles are notorious for this. The best thing to do is keep it dry. If you should happen to get caught in the rain, make sure you dry it out completely by using fans or compressed air to get all the water out of the ledge. when you wash your car, don't run water over the top. Just wipe the top off with a damp rag.:cents:

Is that why they are called rag tops :jester:

69383RR

Reaction score
I think that's where I got my grill parts from and they look great but they are softer and more pliable then the originals . There is no subsatute for original parts in most cases. If I had to do it again I think I would try to restore as many of the original parts as I could.

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on grille. I received a cost quote of around $1,200 from King of Trim for restoring the original grille and headlamp bezels and the cost new one at Jegs is $476. It is difficult to know on what parts to spend more cash for a better part.

Thanks for the feedback on convertible trim. Rather than allow water to get under the convertible trim I was thinking about using a sealer such as RTV under the trim to keep the water out. Has that ever been tried or do you simply just install the trim dry on top of the painted channel?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
$1200? holy crap! I think I'm about done dumping $$ into these old cars. Old electric trains are a lot cheaper.

droptop

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on grille. I received a cost quote of around $1,200 from King of Trim for restoring the original grille and headlamp bezels and the cost new one at Jegs is $476. It is difficult to know on what parts to spend more cash for a better part.

Thanks for the feedback on convertible trim. Rather than allow water to get under the convertible trim I was thinking about using a sealer such as RTV under the trim to keep the water out. Has that ever been tried or do you simply just install the trim dry on top of the painted channel?

King of Trim does excellent work. With that being said, what do you plan for your car? If you are going to make a museum piece, you need to go with the restored grill. If you are making a nice driver, go with the reproduction. The fit and finish is not to bad on them. You do need to look at what you are buying before shelling out the cash. There were seconds produced, and some vendors will try to pass them off as perfect. Go to a major show so you can inspect before buying.

The factory put the top on dry next to the painted metal, and we all have seen how that turned out.:cents:

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not for me Steve. I have enough runners, so I'm on the floor digging thru the junk boxes looking for rebuilders.

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
I will be driving the car and not entering it in concourse shows. However, I want to stay away from cheap looking parts. If it shows up from Jegs and looks bad I will simply return it.

Also, I am planning to order the "made in china" tail light bezels and AMD bumpers. Does anybody have any experiences with those pieces? Eventually I need to stop thinking about these things and just get 'er on the road!

I sure do like ragtops but what a pain it is dealing with the corrosion issues. Considering that it is not a good idea to plenty of water to wash a convertible, I should have looked at painting it a color that does not show dirt.

Back