• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 440-6 Engine Question

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a 1970 440-6 engine block, I ran across somebody with a 70 engine block but it has a blank ID pad on the block. Is there anything different about the 70 RB 440 block in regards to the VIN stamp? Thanks Brian

stevo

Reaction score
should not be a difference...extra webbing maybe..you could check if you have extra water holes for the heads....then its not a A12 block.
Are you building a numbers matching A12 car? if not, my 02 get the block checked and use it.
I am running a 440 from a motor home and it has extra holes for the cooling in the heads, but the funny thing it came with HP rods from the 6bbl motor..

Reaction score
I already have a non matching numbers engine built, but in regards to identifying the correct original engine- can you verify where the VIN stamp should be on a 1970 RB 440-6 and was it located additionally anywhere else on the block? Somebody said that certain engines were not stamped which I have never heard of? Thanks Brian

IQ52

Reaction score
What does 440-6 mean to you? Are we talking about a 440 Six Barrel? There is a flat pad on the right hand side of the engine, just above the pan rail, that will have a partial vin number stamped on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
440-6 means a six pack engine to me, just checking to see if there was anything different about a six pack engine as far as the vin stamp.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
440-6 means a six pack engine to me, just checking to see if there was anything different about a six pack engine as far as the vin stamp.

I think the real question you want answered here is are there any differences in the '70 blocks? No. A '70 block is a '70 block.
The only difference in the stampings would be if you stumbled across one that had a complete VIN stamped on the side of the engine block in which case the "V" would be present. I think most of us would agree that a partial VIN is what you will almost always find, and there will be no engine code present.

Also, 440 Six Barrel = Plymouth. 440 Six Pack = Dodge. Their nomenclature, not mine, don't shoot the messenger.

droptop

Reaction score
I agree about no differences in the block between a 440-4 verses a 440-6. The differences are in the internals. Unless you find the numbers matching block, I would go with what you have. :cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree about no differences in the block between a 440-4 verses a 440-6. The differences are in the internals.

Even that is sometimes a non-factor. Plenty of 440-4s out there that came with the 440-6 big rods and the larger capacity pans. The '70 engine sitting in Bambi right now is just such a beast.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry can't be much help. In the 70's my friend and I had a Duster that we put a 440 intersept HWY patrol car motor in it. It was bored over 30 thou. Roller lifter's and all the bell's and whistle's. Put Holley double pumper on it. This thing broke every thing from the bell housing back to the rear end that includes drive shaft and all. Well that is one strong motor so be forwarend lot of torke . Hope you have a lot of fun driving out their.

Back