• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Hemi RR convertible

VRJR

Reaction score
I joined this forum to clear up something in my old age memory:
In about 1975ish I stopped at a used car lot in Bound Brook NJ. There was a 1970 Hemi Roadrunner convertible for sale - $1400. I couldn't afford that at the time and was pretty mad when I found out he sold it for $900 (that I could have afforded!). I'm guessing the car had been repainted as it was a copper maybe with a sparkle/glitter/metalflake thing. The metalflake part is much vaguer in my memory but the copper is not.

Seems like maybe there were 3 1970 Hemi RR convertibles produced. Have I been delusional all these years? Trust me, I knew what a hemi looked like and 1970 was my favorite RR year (bought one in 1980).
Thanks,
Vince

VRJR

Reaction score
My question should have been: Were any of the 3 1970 Hemi Convertibles ever painted a copper color?

RonLiv

Reaction score
My question should have been: Were any of the 3 1970 Hemi Convertibles ever painted a copper color?
I was looking around to find the answer to that exact question. I can't find anything on what colors they were. I did find an article in Hot Rod Magazine where they spoke about the 1970 Road Runner Hemi Convertible, but they stated they could not find any examples of the car to show in the article. Here's part of the article:

"Meanwhile, the nation's economy soured and the insurance companies decided that muscle cars were damaging their actuarial charts so badly they would not insure them. The result was a greatly diminished demand and some truly rare production cars. Only 658 convertible 'Runners were built that year, and the 1971 model redesign ended all B-Body convertibles at the end of 1970 vehicle production.

At the top of this group would be the Hemi models. There were no GTX convertibles built in 1970, and there were four Road Runners. That is all; even in researching this story, we could not find a real 1970 Hemi Road Runner convertible to show here. It becomes understandable why, with Hemi E-Body convertibles consistently selling at over $1 million, this would be an important car should one come for sale. It is reputed that just three of the dozen 1969 examples are known to exist today."

VRJR

Reaction score
I was looking around to find the answer to that exact question. I can't find anything on what colors they were. I did find an article in Hot Rod Magazine where they spoke about the 1970 Road Runner Hemi Convertible, but they stated they could not find any examples of the car to show in the article. Here's part of the article:

"Meanwhile, the nation's economy soured and the insurance companies decided that muscle cars were damaging their actuarial charts so badly they would not insure them. The result was a greatly diminished demand and some truly rare production cars. Only 658 convertible 'Runners were built that year, and the 1971 model redesign ended all B-Body convertibles at the end of 1970 vehicle production.

At the top of this group would be the Hemi models. There were no GTX convertibles built in 1970, and there were four Road Runners. That is all; even in researching this story, we could not find a real 1970 Hemi Road Runner convertible to show here. It becomes understandable why, with Hemi E-Body convertibles consistently selling at over $1 million, this would be an important car should one come for sale. It is reputed that just three of the dozen 1969 examples are known to exist today."

Well, that's what I came up with (nothing much!) over the years trying to corroborate my memory. If only I had offered that used car guy my $900 and then had someplace to store/keep that car for 45 years through multiple moves and an ex-wife!

RonLiv

Reaction score
I did find a YouTube video put out by Wes that shows what looks like B3 to me Hemi 1970 Road Runner Convertible that was found abandoned, had a 383 in at the time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the cars was either T5 or T7 though. Seemed to be a popular color.

joejordan

Reaction score
Welcome Vince,
I have owned 2 of 3 original 70 Hemi RR converts. The 2 US built automatics are B3 Ice Blue and B5 Blue Fire. I still have the B3 car.
The US 4 speed was destroyed in a fire back in the 80's and was B5 also. Copies of the original invoice still exist so that is a well documented car no longer alive. There is 1 Canadian car that is FC7 Inviolet that has been featured in many magazines. There is also 1 V2 TorRed automatic that has been the subject of much debate as to whether or not it is a real car.
No Bronze/Copper cars as original from Plymouth and I am quite sure that none of the survivors were ever painted a different color than the factory color. I would say that the car you saw back in 75 likely had an engine transplant. Best regards, Joe

RonLiv

Reaction score
Welcome Vince,
I have owned 2 of 3 original 70 Hemi RR converts. The 2 US built automatics are B3 Ice Blue and B5 Blue Fire. I still have the B3 car.
The US 4 speed was destroyed in a fire back in the 80's and was B5 also. Copies of the original invoice still exist so that is a well documented car no longer alive. There is 1 Canadian car that is FC7 Inviolet that has been featured in many magazines. There is also 1 V2 TorRed automatic that has been the subject of much debate as to whether or not it is a real car.
No Bronze/Copper cars as original from Plymouth and I am quite sure that none of the survivors were ever painted a different color than the factory color. I would say that the car you saw back in 75 likely had an engine transplant. Best regards, Joe
How cool is that! Wow. You must know about this car?

VRJR

Reaction score
Welcome Vince,
Thanks for the reply! I'm sure you're right that it was an engine transplant. Motors floated in and out of cars back then. I was looking for a hemi to put in my 318 equipped 66 Dodge Coronet but settled on a 440. Guy I sold the car to took the motor out, junked the body (I coulda killed him!!) and put the 440 in another car. I still wish I had offered $900 when I had the chance.....

Back