• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner interior questions

A990

Reaction score
I have a few questions for the 1970 Roadrunner crowd regarding a black bucket seat interior. My wife ordered a complete Legendary interior for her 70 Bird that she bought and we are restoring at the Indy swap meet a couple of weeks ago. Without thinking about it much, we went with what was on the seats that were in it which appear to be all black with the thin silver welt. This was done before I realized the fender tag is coded for a P6XA interior which is supposed to be charcoal and black bucket seats with the silver welt. I just found out from the guy we bought it from after we ordered the upholstery that the rear seat cover is original but the front seats were recovered decades ago, as we got this low mileage bird from the original owner. If you look at the pictures I provided, the front seats sure look all black to me but the rear seat is so faded it’s hard to tell what it should be. If you go by the fender tag/ broadcast sheet however they should be if I remember correctly, black in the Ranger Grain insert area and the rest of the seat with the Coachman Grain should be a dark charcoal color. She wants the car restored assembly line correct as tagged except for the stroker Hemi I’m building for it, but she prefers the all black seats with the thin silver welt, so that’s what we went with. The car is FK5 with a V1X black vinyl top and TX9 upper door paint so all black would look better. Now this is bugging me and I’m wondering if all black seats ever available from the factory and if so, is this car just another Lynch Rd mistake? I am too much of a purist and it is one thing to change an interior color to something that was available, but I’m having a hard time moving forward with something that may have never existed from the factory at all. Has anyone ever run into a survivor 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner/GTX/Superbird with an all black interior or a P6XA tagged car that had all black seats from the factory before? I’ve seen plenty of 70 Roadrunners with all black seats with both the black welt and the silver welt as well as the charcoal and black with both color welts and Legendary carries all 4 options. Were there options on welt color when these cars were new, or is this too an aftermarket thing? I’m wondering now if just like the 1970 Cuda white hockey stripes that were never available from the factory, is this just another case of aftermarket creative artistry that has gone on for so long that it’s an excepted norm by many not in the know and has become urban legend? If all black seats with a silver welt were available from the factory what should the fender tag code be besides P6XA? Can somebody post a good bright high resolution picture of a P6XA front and rear seat to compare with what is currently our car and also determine what color door panels should be on a P6XA interior black or charcoal, as these were gone too and the door shells gutted when we bought the car.

Also I just found this decent C21 Buddy Seat for the car that was missing when we bought it. The seat was in excellent condition with nice foam and the critical tunnel mounting brackets to weld back in. Another thing about this Buddy Seat when we ordered the new covers from Legendary is they asked if we wanted it with the map pocket or without. I ordered it also in black, but now that may need to be charcoal too. I’m a little in the dark on this one as I have never had a Buddy Seat Mopar before and never really paid attention. I have yet to find anything in my archives on the subject of this map pocket. The previous owner took the original out 40 years ago and does not remember if it had a map pocket or not and there are no option codes to verify if it did or not. This seat is actually a 69 piece that I think came out of a Coronet but I’m pretty sure it’s the same as a 70 B-body seat. If you notice it has a little pocket towards the back of the seat bottom near where the pivot ears come out of the bottom cover which I’m assuming is this map pocket they are talking about is that correct? Could a Roadrunner have this pocket or is this an upscale GTX, Coronet R/T -500, Charger S/E thing? I actually think it would look better without it, but I have to make a decision soon and get back to Legendary with my decision. Also should the buddy seat have silver welts if the seats do? This is the first ever 1970 in our stable and I know it’s a lot of questions, but does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

IMG_20150703_160332805.jpg
IMG_20150703_160347037.jpg
z70_Satellite0012.jpg
zbuddy seat.jpg
zbuddyseat2.jpg

IMG_20150703_160332805.jpg

z70_Satellite0012.jpg

zbuddy seat.jpg

zbuddyseat2.jpg

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
Your a purist but you are installing a stroker Hemi? Interesting.......BTW, what did your '70 originally come with from Lynch Road?

Last edited:

A990

Reaction score
It's an 383 4-speed, manual brake, manual steering factory N96 car. My wife purchased it from a good friend of mine who was the original owner. He gutted the thing in the seventies to race and we have to put everything back in, heater box, windshield wiper linkage, most of the wiring. I even have to weld in the pieces of the inner rear quarter back in so we can put window regulators,and glass back in the car. It is an 32,000 mile excellent condition body though, that was never driven in inclement weather. Since the car is nothing out of the ordinary, and we have several 383 cars in our stable already, we decided to build an exact factory original looking Hemi clone of one of the 58 4-speed Hemi RM23's that were built in 70. It would be nice to actually enjoy an Elephant car that was not too valuable to drive. The plan is with the help of a friend Dave Dudek, is to build a F.A.S.T. series legal stock looking big Hemi that would be legal to compete in that class if we desired to. My wife wants to have the car look exactly the way and was tagged sans the drivetrain. I will take the original engine, trans and axle and put it away for safe keeping so it could be put back stock someday if market conditions warrant it. So in order to satisfy her wishes for her car, it is important to get this interior right and that is the reason for my question about P6XA trim.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Can't get a better engine builder than Dave, he seams to find every available pony.

A990

Reaction score
Yes it's a Lynch Rd car, my buddy who we got it from had a older brother that worked there and followed it down the line...

A990

Reaction score
So there is no one on here on this board that has a definitive answer to my original question? I would be happy just to know for sure if the door panel and buddy seat upholstery is supposed to be charcoal in a 1970 P6XA interior......

droptop

Reaction score
I have never had a 70....yet.... so I am of no help to you. I would go with what Legendary recommends. They have been doing this for many decades, and have a lot of research hours invested, as well as a lot of documentation on interior combinations.

AMX GUY

Reaction score
It sounds like you're more of a purist than I am, and that's a curse. P6XA is charcoal with black inserts and a silver welt.

Look at it this way, as Galen Govier stays away we're good there aren't many people in the world who'd know.. I'm going to go with either the P6XA my tag says or maybe the deluxe black and silver I haven't decided yet. . you're putting in a hemi and I'm putting in a 440 six pack , everyone can look at our VIN and instantly know we went AWOL there .

By the way, don't forget the Dana 60 everyone looks for that .

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I know that '70 Doges had charcoal, and black was not supposed to be avalible, but the charcoal always looked black to me.

AMX GUY

Reaction score
I agree I thought charcoal was a Dodge thing. but you can find all sorts of P6XA examples of charcoal, black inserts and silver trim on Plymouth. at least in 1970 anyway.

Back