• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970's relics

sam z

Reaction score
I always say, with these cars, sometimes you should leave well enough alone. Period. My family mechanic swears by this philosophy. I didn't listen to my better judgment yesterday, and I paid for it.

I went out to a tire shop yesterday morning under the impression it would be slow with the holiday weekend. I was right. I brought the wife's car, they had it out fast. Brought in my daily car (Prius), they had it out fast. Dumb a** me tells the guy ok, I'm gonna get my old car so they can turn the tires around so the RWL's are exposed, instead of the black walls as it was standing then. No problem. Go home, bring it in, they get it in and get right to work. It was starting off well, because I was the only customer and all of the employees were on it. Not one guy working and two smoking cigarettes kind of crap. Anyway, I have no real interest in keeping these tires, but I wanted to see how the RWL's would look with the Cragars so I could make an informed decision when I buy wheels and tires, etc. The shop was giving me a good price so why not. Anyway, sure enough, on the last tire, on the rear, a Bulls*&% problem. They inflate the tire, and a huge bulge is sticking out of the sidewall, as if somebody is trying to ram a golf ball through it from the inside out. To make matters worse, it's a goofy size tire 245/60/14 that isn't easy to find on 4th of July weekend. So, one of the guys goes to their other store (total drive over an hour) and gets a used tire to get me home. The shop manager goes out and investigates the bad tire and reports to me, asking, do you know when these tires were made? I responded no. He said 1978. This was bound to happen.

So, I took a little time today to clean up the lettering on all four (including the odd ball used tire they had to get) because I still wanted to see the appearance of RWL's and Cragars. Based on the fact that the wheels and tires are both products of the 70's, I cleaned them up with No. 7 polish and old fashioned "hard shell" turtle wax that I haven't taken off of my garage shelf in years. I figured it fit the situation.

runnerwheel2.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think I've had some Remington tires on a couple cars.

1978? You may not want to drop one, it may break. Seriously, those tires are too old to drive on.

John69RR

Reaction score
The RWL look good but like Big said...those tires are TOO old. Somewhere I have seen a post about tire stampings and how to read them. Wish I could remember where.

moparstuart

Reaction score
sam z said:
I always say, with these cars, sometimes you should leave well enough alone. Period. My family mechanic swears by this philosophy. I didn't listen to my better judgment yesterday, and I paid for it.

I went out to a tire shop yesterday morning under the impression it would be slow with the holiday weekend. I was right. I brought the wife's car, they had it out fast. Brought in my daily car (Prius), they had it out fast. Dumb a** me tells the guy ok, I'm gonna get my old car so they can turn the tires around so the RWL's are exposed, instead of the black walls as it was standing then. No problem. Go home, bring it in, they get it in and get right to work. It was starting off well, because I was the only customer and all of the employees were on it. Not one guy working and two smoking cigarettes kind of crap. Anyway, I have no real interest in keeping these tires, but I wanted to see how the RWL's would look with the Cragars so I could make an informed decision when I buy wheels and tires, etc. The shop was giving me a good price so why not. Anyway, sure enough, on the last tire, on the rear, a Bulls*&% problem. They inflate the tire, and a huge bulge is sticking out of the sidewall, as if somebody is trying to ram a golf ball through it from the inside out. To make matters worse, it's a goofy size tire 245/60/14 that isn't easy to find on 4th of July weekend. So, one of the guys goes to their other store (total drive over an hour) and gets a used tire to get me home. The shop manager goes out and investigates the bad tire and reports to me, asking, do you know when these tires were made? I responded no. He said 1978. This was bound to happen.

So, I took a little time today to clean up the lettering on all four (including the odd ball used tire they had to get) because I still wanted to see the appearance of RWL's and Cragars. Based on the fact that the wheels and tires are both products of the 70's, I cleaned them up with No. 7 polish and old fashioned "hard shell" turtle wax that I haven't taken off of my garage shelf in years. I figured it fit the situation.

runnerwheel2.jpg
keep the cragers and getn new tires

mcmopar

Reaction score
x2. The tires on my steelies were made in the mid 90's and although they look brand new with no dry rot they are still over the age limit for any kind of serious driving. You definitely need new tires all the way around. It's a good thing you found out this way rather than out on the open road at speed. You could have lost the entire car in a blowout.

glhcarl

Reaction score
My spare was made in March 1969. I don't think I would use it for anything but a conversation piece.

By the way I like the rased white.

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
I have the RWL and Cragars on my Roadrunner but I don't know if I really like it. Do redlines on Cragars look any good or are they a steel wheel only type of thing. Pictures would help if anyone has any. Cheers

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
RWL is the only way to go! :thumbsup:

...this kind of thought process would also explain why you are a star player for the green team... :lmao:

:acme:

RWL or Blackwalls depends on the car, the wheel, and the color combo... :cool:

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

...this kind of thought process would also explain why you are a star player for the green team... :lmao:

ACME
I have to agree with Ray, RWL are a must on a green car to pull your eye away from the paint. But not so with most any other color :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

ACME
I have to agree with Ray, RWL are a must on a green car to pull your eye away from the paint. But not so with most any other color :jester:

Ouch!

Redlines look really cool on Cragars.

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

ACME

I perceived the reference to be 1969 road runners since that is what he included a picture of. Let me rephrase: For 1969 road runners (excluding A-12 cars) RWL tires are the only way to go IMHO. I hope that clarifies matters. Blackwalls, to me, just look dumpy - no matter what color the road runner (but especially on B5 cars). I've had RWL on both Q5 and F8 and if I had a B5 car you'd better believe it would have RWL tires on it. I'm not about to deprive my car of looking it's best. I don't care what color it is - my cars will have RWL or redlines (which rate a close second in my book.) The A-12 package was perfect from the factory - plain black wheels, chrome lug nuts and redline tires are just sinister looking but plain blackwalls belong on the new pieces of crap or a grandpa 4 door Satellite or Belvedere. :cents: Rant over.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

ACME

I perceived the reference to be 1969 road runners since that is what he included a picture of. Let me rephrase: For 1969 road runners (excluding A-12 cars) RWL tires are the only way to go IMHO. I hope that clarifies matters. Blackwalls, to me, just look dumpy - no matter what color the road runner (but especially on B5 cars). I've had RWL on both Q5 and F8 and if I had a B5 car you'd better believe it would have RWL tires on it. I'm not about to deprive my car of looking it's best. I don't care what color it is - my cars will have RWL or redlines (which rate a close second in my book.) The A-12 package was perfect from the factory - plain black wheels, chrome lug nuts and redline tires are just sinister looking but plain blackwalls belong on the new pieces of crap or a grandpa 4 door Satellite or Belvedere. :cents: Rant over.
I agree John, not a fan of white walls on a performance car either :thumbsup:

Mel69rrvert

Reaction score
Tire Manufacture Date
How to Find it?

Tire Manufacture Date - The Production Code
The production code on all tires are not equal but you will see a special code in an ellipse shape on at least 80% of all tires on the market, and that will help you find tire date of manufacture.
The "last 4 digits" on the ellipse tells us tire manufacture date. The first 2 digits is "PRODUCTION WEEK" and the last 2 digits is the "YEAR". Assuming there are 4 weeks in a month, we can say that the tire in the photos was manufactured by the end of March 2003 (12=12th week of the year, 03=Year 2003).
I.E. 5001 means 50th week of year 2001, which means December 2001.
While the entire Tire Identification Code is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current rules also require the first digits of the Tire Identification Code (everything but the week and year) must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, you may have to crawl under the car to see the other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Code.
A three digit code will be found on tires manufactured before 2000. The Tire Identification Code for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that no tire would be in service for ten years. They were required to provide the same information, with the week and year the tire was built contained in the last three digits. Two digits are used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately followed by a single digit used to identify the year. So a tire with a Tire Identification Code of DOT XX XX XXX 149 would have been made on the 14th week of 1999.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

ACME
:toetap: I'll just make believe that I didn't just read that!!! Blue Boy. :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
totally ignoring the obivious GREEN envy from all others on this site......) The RWL and Cragars looks awsome! But they would look soooooo much better on a CSW Green cleverly hidden by French's Mustard Yellow car. My shipping address is.............

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
totally ignoring the obivious GREEN envy from all others on this site......) The RWL and Cragars looks awsome! But they would look soooooo much better on a CSW Green cleverly hidden by French's Mustard Yellow car. My shipping address is.............

:lol:

One of these days I'm gonna stumble across a smokin' good deal on a set of Cragars...and I think I'll just have them shipped directly to your door...you deserve them... :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

:lol:

One of these days I'm gonna stumble across a smokin' good deal on a set of Cragars...and I think I'll just have them shipped directly to your door...you deserve them... :thumbsup:

I hope you deliver them personally... :thumbsup: I found a smokin deal on the Cragars I got for Freebird. $275 got me a beautiful set of wheels and tires. Then the whole deal went up in smoke. :facepalm:

Back