• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-1972 Roadrunners hitting the market for crazy prices!!! Normal or Crazy??

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
MyRR.jpeg
My 1971 In-Violet, white top, 383 with Air Grabber Hood, 4 speed Hurst pistol grip with white interior bucket seats and Gull-Wing.

Hey Guys, just wanted to get your opinion to see what you guys think...

I'm a proud and humble owner of a non-project 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (I added photo of my RR). And, as many of us do, I frequently go window shopping to see what the independent market looks like... mostly on FB Marketplace, Ebay and Craigslist.

First of all, it's not very normal to see 71-72 roadrunners on sale that often... But lately, there has been an influx of non-project roadrunners hitting the market. I just checked Ebay and they have several 1971 roadrunners for sale with prices ranging from $70,000 to $90,000 and then they have a few 1972 roadrunners for sale with prices ranging from $50,000 to $70,000.

And I get it, I know asking price and actually getting price are two different things, but it seems like everyone is asking really high!

And there are even some project roadrunners with strong pricing. What do you guys think is going on with these prices? Is this normal or...? Because I don't want to sell my roadrunner but dang, it gets tempting when if they start selling for big prices!

torredcuda

Reaction score
On E-Bay go to Buying format and click sold only, that will tell you selling prices not rediculous asking prices. I see a couple nice examples sold mid 30`s -low `40`s, one very nice original `72 GTX sold for $65k. Prices have gone up recently and so everyone wants to cash in asking high prices but I doubt too many are actually getting sold.

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
On E-Bay go to Buying format and click sold only, that will tell you selling prices not rediculous asking prices. I see a couple nice examples sold mid 30`s -low `40`s, one very nice original `72 GTX sold for $65k. Prices have gone up recently and so everyone wants to cash in asking high prices but I doubt too many are actually getting sold.
That sounds much more reasonable. I don't understand folks who just post insane prices. I guess they could get lucky or they don't actually want to part with their cars!

torredcuda

Reaction score
Ya, most of them are just fishing for a sucker but I bet a few are actually delusional and think because they saw a 100 point restored 440-6 road runner on Mecum go for over $100k thier Maaco paint job 383 cloned driver must be worth $90k. :rofl:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I was offered 60K for my restored 69 runner a few months back. Told the guy it was not for sale when he started at 40 K. Looking at the price of sheet metal and things like full doors and all things have doubled in price since restoring the car. OMG would not want to go through buying all the stuff that I had to get to restore a rust bucket project again. It is not a daily driver due to the fuel prices. Way overpriced fuel is making it a choice to drive it only to car shows or once in a while.

torredcuda

Reaction score
My Barracuda only gets single digit fuel mileage so fuel prices limit my driving as well. I did do some joy riding a number of times this year as well as a 250 mile round trip to Augusta, Me for an all Mopar show but that was not something I do very often, usually just local shows and cruise nights.

RonLiv

Reaction score
The cost of everything is up considerably. I saw a 55 Bentley S1 just sell for $50,500, when that same car sold for about $18K a few years back. I was offered what I thought was a bizarre number for my home, so high I considered it, until I looked around for what it would cost to get something comparable or even smaller. Nothing would surprise me in the collector car world. I have a couple clients who sell cars focusing on higher end stuff like Porsche and Ferrari and what they've seen is crazy what people will pay. The Hagerty Price Guide, which I really like to get an idea on what a car is worth is out of date before the ink is dry.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to afford premium when I finish mine, hell sometimes I wonder if there will be any gas to buy.

V.R.D

Reaction score
convert to alcohol build a still and make your one methanol alcohol and it would be cheaper in the long run

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Yea.
IF you can actually GET AMD metal from Taiwan these days.

Buy a small block A body to drive every day.
Gas problem solved.
Purchase price solved as a bonus.
That was my plan 25 years ago.
Still working for me.
23 highway.

Back